ID Please

Runninamok

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
NY
Purchased these on Aquabid when they were much smaller. Labeled them Pre-Faded Red Texas Cichlids. One is about 6-7 Inches now, the other about 4. Pretty fish, but im assuming these won't color up into that deep red I was hoping for. First time I ever raised these. They were shipped from the Phillipines. Is it common for these to not color, or did I purchase something that wasen't a Red Texas?

RT 3.jpg

RT Pic 1.jpg

RT 2 Smaller.jpg

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Looks like what they are selling as electric blue texas. Still great fish, but I don't think you will get red from them. Same temperament and care.

Reactions: Runninamok

Runninamok

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
NY
Looks like what they are selling as electric blue texas. Still great fish, but I don't think you will get red from them. Same temperament and care.
Yes, looks like it. I put up a red Texas I found online and my larger one. They are very close in Markings,size of the pearlsand body shape. Just obviously a very different color.

Im going to email the breeder. See of I can get any further info. Was skeptical importing fish from the Phillipnes, but I have received fish from Aquabid in the past without issues.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Red texas are red because they get the fader gene from amphilophus. All red texas are born looking like this, before they fade/peel. Some don't peel ever, which is the case with yours. If you bought them as red texas, but they aren't red, their siblings probably were, and the ones you bought were the ones that weren't.

Runninamok

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
NY
Red texas are red because they get the fader gene from amphilophus. All red texas are born looking like this, before they fade/peel. Some don't peel ever, which is the case with yours. If you bought them as red texas, but they aren't red, their siblings probably were, and the ones you bought were the ones that weren't.
Thanks for the calrification. Appreciate it.

I Was in a local store and they advised me that most of, if not all Red Texas males cannot reproduce with RT females? He went on to say that i should remove the female and try to pair her with Carpintis, Parrot or Rose Queen. I would assume, that if... if can get them to breed that a certain percentage of the offspring would carry the fader gene if my fish are truly unfaded RT's?

Does anyone know if there is truth to them not being able to reproduce with other RT's? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
I Was in a local store and they advised me that most of, if not all Red Texas males cannot reproduce with RT females? He went on to say that i should remove the female and try to pair her with Carpintis, Parrot or Rose Queen. I would assume, that if... if can get them to breed that a certain percentage of the offspring would carry the fader gene if my fish are truly unfaded RT's?
Read here about fertility RT https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/another-super-red-texas-attempt.720803/

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
From the outside, your male looks like an F2 unfaded RT. Accordingly, the likelihood of fertility is high. The molting gene can be taken from the female F1 fader RT (cheapest on the market). There are the following variants with hybrid female faders: synspilum x parrot; midas x parrot; FH GB x parrot; kamfa, but the offspring will no longer be RT.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Thanks for the calrification. Appreciate it.

Does anyone know if there is truth to them not being able to reproduce with other RT's? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
The fader gene is dominant, if it's gone
You'd have to breed her to something that does peel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store