ID Shark Housing

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
Excellent! Their heads are not oversized in comparison to their bodies. If anything, their tails are. I always know a growth spurt is imminent when their tails are seemingly too large. Hopefully you all have helped me save their growth just in time!

Thank you all, again. These fish are very important to me, especially because I've put so much time into them and that I've raised them from their little two-inch babyhood. I feel horrible I haven't been able to provide a better environment for them, but now I can certainly make it better.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Excellent! Their heads are not oversized in comparison to their bodies. If anything, their tails are. I always know a growth spurt is imminent when their tails are seemingly too large. Hopefully you all have helped me save their growth just in time!

Thank you all, again. These fish are very important to me, especially because I've put so much time into them and that I've raised them from their little two-inch babyhood. I feel horrible I haven't been able to provide a better environment for them, but now I can certainly make it better.

Keep us updated?

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A healthy channel catfish at that size should not have a head that is bigger than its body, especially the two big ones behind the small ones which have huge head.
I'd say the one big one farther back appears to have a large head. The other larger one next to him looks well proportioned as do the rest of them.

Nice examples of the stunted tilapias. Thanks.

Not true, it happens in almost all fish species. Sunfish, trout, pike, perch and carps/goldfish will looks worse when they're stunted than other fish species.
So far, it appears that too-large-head-and-eyes occurs in catfish too but rarely and far less pronounced, no?

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes! I'm very interested in that answer! I read some of the posted outsourced articles, and it seems kind of on the fence when it comes to if the fish will continue to grow after being relocated. It doesn't seem to specify how long or severely the fish must be stunted before their growth stops. (Probably because it's different for every fish, I'm sure.)
I witnessed an explosive growth from some catfish that had been poorly kept before coming to me, including IDS. But not always.

Wednesday13 provided several convincing examples of the same phenomenon in TSNs and channels.

Both him and I took in too-small-for-the-age fish and placed them in large ponds.

As for reaching their "full size/potential", IDK. I don't think stunting is inconsequential.

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
The ID sharks are already looking better! Their eyes look more proportional, and the stressed-out pleco has regained most of his dark color.
In the next few days I'll be purchasing the 300 Rubbermaid tub and preparing it for them. I've also decided to build a 750 acrylic aquarium for them, to cut cost and to lengthen the time between tank upgrades.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
The ID sharks are already looking better! Their eyes look more proportional, and the stressed-out pleco has regained most of his dark color.
In the next few days I'll be purchasing the 300 Rubbermaid tub and preparing it for them. I've also decided to build a 750 acrylic aquarium for them, to cut cost and to lengthen the time between tank upgrades.

That sounds good, what filter are you gonna have running the rubbermaid tub?
Post some pictures of the 750g project when you get started :D! Have they grown now that you have started doing weekly buttom vacuums, and water changes?
If you can get some new pictures, so we can compare them to the old ones, it would be great :D!

Good luck :)

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
I've been doing daily water changes and the physical changes are small, but just noticeable. I had planned to make my own filtration system as practice for the 750g tank. A friend of mine mentioned a DIY master on YouTube, and he has a couple different options for home made filters. I'm not sure exactly which one, yet, but even if the filters don't work as planned, I'll be doing water changes twice a week.

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
Just wanted to give a small insight of my ID Sharks in comparison to size. Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere amongst the stunted growth conversation that took over. I have 2 IDS they are between 2 and 2.5 years old. Boss is roughly 15" and Brutus is 11". They are still growing as they are not adults yet.

BigTrain

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Florida
The 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank is finally ordered! It should be in within the next two or three weeks, and the ID sharks, along with their African Sailfin pleco mate, will be relocated.
I've maintained the 125g aquarium much more efficiently and at a minimum change 50% once a week. At maximum in, I change 30% every two days. The sharks have continued to grow in size but are quickly reaching a choke point in which their bodies are now more proportional but the aquarium cannot accommodate their size. I predict by the time the stock tank is in they will have met that choke point, which makes this a close call.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store