id these turtles pleace

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
yay maybe im not that stupid afterall. im going to allow myself a cup of tea and some biscuits for that one. o and on topic- have you any pics of what your keeping them in?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I would have guessed that the first one was one of the river cooters, genus Pseudemys (maybe concinna, it has a striped eye, only slight murky plastron markings and no forehead stripe.

The second one I am pretty sure is the false map turtle (Graptemys pseudogeographica) the face, eyes, tail stripe, foreleg stripes, and plaostron a match.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
First turtle - Florida Red Belly (Pseudemys nelsoni) is my guess. I have had sevral of these and their shells always ended up looking like this (in the wild they usually get a high rounded shell) I don't think it is a yellow belly slider becuase yellow bellies have a yellow ear spot that cups the back of their eye. This is not there on the turtle in the first pics. And the faded red plastron rings the bell in my head (mature red belly).

Second turtle- I agree that it is a false map turtle.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
On second thought, I might have to go with guppy on the first one. I just looked at it closer and it has the markings of a Eastern River Cooter around the mouth. Concinna it is.

koliveira

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
Atascadero CA
www.undertheamazon.com
My source is the audubon society field guide. The first turtle is either a river cooter, a Florida cooter, or maybe an Alabama red belly. The second one is definately a false map turtle. At first I thought it was some kind of map turtle, but the stripe on his head is a dead give-a-way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store