Id this cat pls

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Brown bullhead... u.s. native also tho...
Agree with bullhead but what makes you so sure of the species? It's not a yellow bullhead (no light colored mandibular barbels) but to tell brown and black one needs to feel the back of the pectoral fin for the presence of absence of serrations, no? At least I can't recall another way.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
I would say Black Bullhead, the first post mentioned Ca., black bullheads are the most common in So. Cal anyway, never caught a brown bullhead that I know of. A black bullhead was the first catfish I ever caught as a kid and the first species I ever kept as a pet, made a pond for it too. They do have serrations on the backside of the pectoral and dorsal spines, found out soon enough! Caught them for years in local ponds and lakes back then , the largest one I ever saw or caught was 13" but 11" to 12" were considered big 'uns. As far as I know it's not illegal to have one in Cali but it is definitely illegal to catch one (or any species period) fishing and then transport it alive! If you buy one from a fish store or online, do keep the receipt...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store