ID this disease or parasite please!!

Haasume

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2018
Kansas
Woke up this morning and found this on the side of one of my red spotted gold severum. I am guessing its not good but I am rather ignorant when it comes to diseases and parasites. Someone please tell me what this is and what steps I need to take next. I have been researching all morning and I have come up with everything from TB to a simple scar from fighting.
None of the other severums in the tank are showing any signs of illness at this time. He is in a 125 gallon tank with 9 other various severums. He has been "fighting" with multiple fish to establish his territory because I just put them in this tank a week ago.

20180909_101519.jpg 20180909_101521.jpg 20180909_101535.jpg 20180909_101537.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could be lymphocystis. Would separate the fish and monitor. It’s a virus and should eventually go away. Would add a little salt 1 tsp per g.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Have you also been doing water tests since you just added ( from my understanding of what you wrote above) all these fish to a new tank ( Im assuming cycled)-- to make sure no rise in ammonia and NitrIte? Even if cycled, a mini-cycle is a possibility.

Lymphocystis is certainly a factor here. Makes sense because when all conditions are good it can be controlled in exposed fish: controlled by clean water, quality food, low stress environments ( no aggression between con-specifics).

The other consideration would be secondary bacterial infection from underlying condition that was triggered by stress. Most common for cichlids- Hexamita. These pimples are par for the course in cichlids - when i see them on my discus, I realize that something is amiss and need to dig deeper.

I would advise following directions that kno4te kno4te has laid out for you. The goal should be to rebuild fishes immune system with clean water, quality food ( you might even add a vitamin supplement like Boyd's Vitachem) and low stress. Watch the sore on side. If you see any redness or red streaking around or radiating from sore, the fish will not eat, lethargy, white feces, I would treat with metronidazole and epsom salt and kanamycin.

Haasume

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2018
Kansas
Ok thank you Lilyann and Kno4te. I have him quarantined .. do I need to treat the 125 also? or wait and see if the other fish show signs of this?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Ok thank you Lilyann and Kno4te. I have him quarantined .. do I need to treat the 125 also? or wait and see if the other fish show signs of this?
It’s like a common cold. Would wait and see.

Reactions: Lilyann
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store