ID this fish from 2011 ACA

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Wow duanes - you're better than google! I'm just kicking around the idea as of now. I've only recently discovered Viejas - I used to keep mainly saltwater tanks. I'm trying to focus in on one species and do the whole "group of juvies/young adults" thing in hopes of getting a pair. In your opinion, 125 wouldn't work for a pair?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I first acquired regani, I got 11 juvies from Don Conkel. I prefer this method of getting compatible pairs, and if you do get a mated pair out of growing juvies, a 125 would probably work because they have bonded. Takes them a while to mature, and they may kill their way down to the pair, as mine did. Plenty of rock work, don't be shy about a strong current, not too much protein, and pristine water conditions. But if you've come from the salt water end, I think you're probably already prepared.
I think they are a fabulous fish, just a bit frustrating at times, and not nice to others.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Thanks for the tips everybody. I'd much rather hear from people with experience keeping the fish versus the vague cookie cutter care sheet info you get if you google the species name.

Regalblue

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
MI.
I kept one in a community Vieja/ Paratheraps tank once.
It didn't last long& was killed in less than a week.
All the fish were 4".

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
I have had a bunch over the years, and all have had that temperament once they reach about 5+ inches.
I gave a 6"one to a friend that killed his much larger 12" red devils and 8" carpintus in a 220 gal.
They may work alone in a 125, but be careful with other fish.
I think they need a 300gal+ aquarium to be housed with other fish in most cases.
Wow, what a killer!

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I've kept Regani a couple times and I agree they aren't as visable as some other cichlids, mine were not all that aggresive. Mine never tried to kill other cichlids. Very mellow fish in my opinion.

darippa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
NYC
Regani 100%. Not mello though. Battleship aggressive once settled in. Nice find. Good luck Monsta!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store