Idea for preventing tank overflows with loss of siphon.

jhfry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I had a thought that I wanted to bounce off of the community before I try to implement. I calculated that on a standard 55gal tank, it takes ~1.3 gal of water to raise the level 1/2". If I set my overflows so that the water level is more than 1/2" from the top of the tank (still behind the top molding) and I place my pump in a 1 gal section of my sump (or simply put it on a pedestal in the sump so there is only one gallon of water above the intake) wouldn't that prevent me from overflowing if I lose my siphon.

SiphonLoss.png

Essentially, the sump would stop getting water, the pump would drain it's 1gal section fully and stop adding water to the tank, finally the pump would run until the thermal shut off kicked in (Siche 2.0 pump) or the pump burned itself out (far more desirable than a flood).

I realize that this would mean that I would need to keep my water levels within a 1 gallon range, but that is just normal maintenance.

This is such a simple solution that, I am surprised I haven't seen it discussed before. Is anyone doing this? If not, is there a good reason why it wouldn't work?

SiphonLoss.png

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
Most everybody sets their systems up to not fail.
Either proven DIY or store bought, the overflows start to flow after a power interuption to the pump.
If you are really worried about dumping water on your floor, a simple float switch can shut your pump off before the tank starts dumping water.
Me, I would study up on an overflow that would not fail to restart.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I'm not sure this would be an effective solution. Having your tank to be operating within a one gallon margin could be risky. I'm also not a fan of running pumps without water. Most aquarium pumps are not designed for that. You could easily burn them up.

jhfry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I'm not sure this would be an effective solution. Having your tank to be operating within a one gallon margin could be risky. I'm also not a fan of running pumps without water. Most aquarium pumps are not designed for that. You could easily burn them up.
Looking at many sumps around the forums and those commercially available, it appears that the return section is not much larger than 1 Gallon anyway... its probably less than that in many cases. Depending upon the size of your sump, 1 Gallon could easily be a couple of inches in height.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Your diagram shows a wet only sump... everything is submerged. I much prefer a wet/dry sump with a constant flow of water over bio balls in a dry chamber.

The simple solution is to drill the tank... no more siphon worries. I have yet to drill my tank and have never lost siphon in my DIY Durso pipe. When I finish my stand build I will drill my tank just because I don't like the look of the Durso pipe in my tank.

jhfry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2011
Knoxville, TN
my illustration was just a quick sketch... not to be taken literally. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1289/5181886232_eb9befcba3.jpg is a better example.

If the divider for the return section were moved to the right so that the return section only holds 1 gallon of water before it runs dry, I would never overflow my 55 gallon as long as my overflows were set more than 1/2" from the top of my tank. 1 Gallon is 231 Cubic Inches (approximately 5"x10" x 5" deep) plenty deep enough to monitor your water level.

I would suspect that many sumps appropriate for a 55 Gallon already have this failsafe in place.... yet people continue to worry about overflowing their main tanks.

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
Here is my “take” on this.

Most all the postings related to sumps are from people just like you, in the planning stage.

Quite a few never step on to building the thing.

Planning and research are needed even for a store bought system, but a guy can worry this decision to death.

If you commit to the project and start the build, I think you will find you were worrying too much.

A sump system is not rocket science.

They are pretty simple once you get past the worry stage.

If you are just a little bit handy, you could have a whole system put together in less than a weekend.

I would strongly suggest a testing period somewhere you can make mistakes without any serious consequences.

At some point during the build/testing you should arrive at an “AaHaa” moment and kick yourself for fretting so much.

Good luck.

frnchjeep

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Ct
Here is my “take” on this.

Most all the postings related to sumps are from people just like you, in the planning stage.

Quite a few never step on to building the thing.

Planning and research are needed even for a store bought system, but a guy can worry this decision to death.

If you commit to the project and start the build, I think you will find you were worrying too much.

A sump system is not rocket science.

They are pretty simple once you get past the worry stage.

If you are just a little bit handy, you could have a whole system put together in less than a weekend.

I would strongly suggest a testing period somewhere you can make mistakes without any serious consequences.

At some point during the build/testing you should arrive at an “AaHaa” moment and kick yourself for fretting so much.

Good luck.
Exactly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store