Ideal tank setup for 20" aimara

kyled0121

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2006
VA
Hey just wanted to set up the ideal habitat for my new 20" aimara. He will be goin into 8x3x2 by himself. I know that it prefers a good water flow and open swimming space. But should i definitely use gravel over sand? And should i still try to provide hiding places? Any info or tips are appreciated. Thanks guys,
Kyle

octopus grouper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2015
8x3x2 sounds good. I would say to do sand over gravel, and maybe a few pieces of driftwood for your aimara to go behind. Tips or info? WATCH your hands, watch tankmates (if it has any),feed a frozen silverside or a baitfish not goldfish every 2 days or so, and keep up on waterchanges

Reactions: Red Aimara

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Agreed that a bigger footprint will be much better. They do spend more time at the bottom of the tank.

Tight covers needed as well.

If you plan to add tank mates, make sure they go in before the Aimara for better chance.

Do post some pics once the mean fella is in the tank. :)

kyled0121

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2006
VA
That's the 600 gallon he will go in eventually..8x4x2.5. Since this picture, ive stained the stand. I will definitely post pics when everything is running.

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
For brownish shade fish, I prefer to use white substrate. Makes the fish stands out. An example of my AUL on white sand:

image.jpeg

My current Aimara is housed in a lighter brown of biomedia / substrate. How it looks:

image.jpeg

Not too sure about gravel but I personally think it might scratches the tank especially when large fishes move it around.

kyled0121

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2006
VA
Wow that looks great. White sand it is then. Do you ever have any problems with your aimara and your plants?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
If you're gonna have high flow grave is probably better over sand... And they don't really have special needs. I'd probably paint the tank black on the back and put small black rocks. And maybe a center large piece of drift wood and that'd be it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store