Ideas for 300 gallon stock tank

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I'm looking for ideas for my 300 gallon stock tank, I was thinking of doing an oscar rescue. Also thinking of maybe stingrays. A tegu? It's 8 feet x 3 feet by 2 feet I was even thinking of maybe salt water. The problem I'm running into is you look at the fish from the top not from the side like most tanks. Even had a male dovii as an option just fishing for ideas

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I'm looking for ideas for my 300 gallon stock tank, I was thinking of doing an oscar rescue. Also thinking of maybe stingrays. A tegu? It's 8 feet x 3 feet by 2 feet I was even thinking of maybe salt water. The problem I'm running into is you look at the fish from the top not from the side like most tanks. Even had a male dovii as an option just fishing for ideas
Should put this in general aquaria discussion. You said tegu, are you leaning towards fish or reptiles? If you make it a reptile enclosure you will no longer be able to use it for fish.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I don't know how to move it now. But the tegu idea was strictly for the 300 yea I won't be able to use it anymore for fish but I still have two 50 gallon and a 120 gallon. If I do fish I want ones that look good from the top down.

Jcb1125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2016
If it was me I would do stingrays. I've done the pond think before and found with a lot of fish it is much less enjoyable viewing from the top. Stingrays though are one of the few fish that are easily viewed from the top.

Reactions: Jrp0405 and Jag586

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I don't know how to move it now. But the tegu idea was strictly for the 300 yea I won't be able to use it anymore for fish but I still have two 50 gallon and a 120 gallon. If I do fish I want ones that look good from the top down.
Well if it were me, I'd personally stick with species of catfish, characins, and polypterus maybe that I can accommodate. Maybe cichlids if you're into that. Of course depends on the species. But there is a lot to pick one, we can't help much without a set tank and then a little background of what you like. You can give us examples of fish you like and we can go off of that.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Mostly fish that you look down on, I like the idea of stingrays I did look into them a little but not much. I know some get too big for my tank 8x3 and some are hard to get to feed so maybe I'll do some more research into rays. Any suggestions ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store