Ideas for large snail eating fish

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I have a snail problem and don’t want to use other snails or chemicals, so I’m looking for ideas for a fish that eats snails that could cohabitate with a kelberi, snook, Endlicheri and pim blochi. Current tank is a 180 but I have plans for a 3-400 in the next year
Thanks for any ideas

Reactions: SuperNinja

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have a snail problem and don’t want to use other snails or chemicals, so I’m looking for ideas for a fish that eats snails that could cohabitate with a kelberi, snook, Endlicheri and pim blochi. Current tank is a 180 but I have plans for a 3-400 in the next year
Thanks for any ideas
What kind of snail?

Reactions: tlindsey

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
What kind of snail?
Malaysian trumpets i think. I had a Fahaka a couple years ago and put some in her tank as a snack. About 6 months after I sold her, I started seeing babies and now they’re in 2 of my tanks. They’re not in the original fahaka tank anymore though, probably because that’s a rift tank now. They’ve completely taken over my 55 grow out and I’m seeing babies on the sides of the 180. I’m not concerned with the 55 tho since it’s just a grow out/QT

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
They'll definitely get eaten, but I've had kuhli loaches and dojo loaches eat snails. I'm sure clown loaches would be able to eat snails while not being eaten by the other fish.
I was thinking clown loaches too, but how would they do solo? I’ve read they need to be in schools and I don’t think I have room for a school of them

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I was thinking clown loaches too, but how would they do solo? I’ve read they need to be in schools and I don’t think I have room for a school of them
No clue, I am not overly familiar with clown loaches as I've never kept them. I just googled snail eating fishing and found bala sharks. They'll be big enough to not get eaten, but they also like being kept in groups.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
No clue, I am not overly familiar with clown loaches as I've never kept them. I just googled snail eating fishing and found bala sharks. They'll be big enough to not get eaten, but they also like being kept in groups.
Lol I saw that same list, didn’t really like anything on it though except for CLs, but I’ve never kept them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store