Ideas for small pond filtration

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
So I'm getting it running. I have a 158 GPH submersible. Pond is maybe 140g ? I am hoping to make a filter box from something but unsure what touse. Would it get to expensive to get the biggest aquarium filter pads and stack some in a container hung above the pond and the filtered water fall back in? Thanks, remember I'm cheap and on a budget. Here is a pic of the pump, less than 10$ at harbor freight

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I'm getting it running. I have a 158 GPH submersible. Pond is maybe 140g ? I am hoping to make a filter box from something but unsure what touse. Would it get to expensive to get the biggest aquarium filter pads and stack some in a container hung above the pond and the filtered water fall back in? Thanks, remember I'm cheap and on a budget. Here is a pic of the pump, less than 10$ at harbor freight
View attachment 1370127

[/QUOTE

C Coryloach

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
Get a bucket or a tote, drill a hole in the bottom side of it, fill it with lava rock, get a bag of polyfill sheeting from Wal-Mart/michaels/jo-ann fabrics put the poly fill on top of the lava and there you go. Cheep & easy!
Makes sense, got you biological and mechanical. What about algea control, it will get about 5 hours direct sun a day. Think i saw something in WalMart that wont hurt fish. You think the filtered water free falling a ft or so will be sufficient areation?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Hey, I see that tlindsey tlindsey has tagged me in for input. I am afraid I don't have anything special I can say.

It looks like a lovely pond and if it were me, I'd definitely go planted, as in emersed plant set up. The plants are filters, albeit natural that most folks don't understand...You've got free sun and free nitrogen and other nutrients produced by your fish. That's all emersed plants need.

It would be a shame not planting the pond in your case. You can simply get cheap plastic hanging baskets. Drill some holes around the bottom, fill with clay pebbles as substrate(they need time to sink or they'll float out) and plant some tropical plants that don't need humidity in the air. Hang the baskets, done. Let the plants grow as the fish grow, no other input is required..

The below is a not so good picture of my 240G indoor pond set up on the same principle.
The plants are parlor palms, peace lily and and an arrow plant.

Pond42.jpg

You do need water flow and other filtration but no matter what you decide will probably work alongside plants. It is best you get the surface moving, by whatever means. The shape of the pond is not standard, so you need to look into how to get the flow moving all around the tank as well.

There are many cheap DIY options you can do. People make filters from plastic totes, wheelie bins, etc.. or a trickle filter tower as you already suggested...

You can also look into setting up a bog filter, although personally I prefer my plants to be separate from the actual filters as the plants are the redundancy mechanism for failing filtration, either mechanical or biological.

Exciting project. Good luck and keep us updated.

P.S. What fish do you have in there at the moment? I can see something small swimming around...

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Hey, I see that tlindsey tlindsey has tagged me in for input. I am afraid I don't have anything special I can say.

It looks like a lovely pond and if it were me, I'd definitely go planted, as in emersed plant set up. The plants are filters, albeit natural that most folks don't understand...You've got free sun and free nitrogen and other nutrients produced by your fish. That's all emersed plants need.

It would be a shame not planting the pond in your case. You can simply get cheap plastic hanging baskets. Drill some holes around the bottom, fill with clay pebbles as substrate(they need time to sink or they'll float out) and plant some tropical plants that don't need humidity in the air. Hang the baskets, done. Let the plants grow as the fish grow, no other input is required..

The below is a not so good picture of my 240G indoor pond set up on the same principle.

View attachment 1370229

You do need water flow and other filtration but no matter what you decide will probably work alongside plants. It is best you get the surface moving, by whatever means. The shape of the pond is not standard, so you need to look into how to get the flow moving all around the tank as well.

There are many cheap DIY options you can do. People make filters from plastic totes, wheelie bins, etc.. or a trickle filter tower as you already suggested...

You can also look into setting up a bog filter, although personally I prefer my plants to be separate from the actual filters as the plants are the redundancy mechanism for failing filtration, either mechanical or biological.

P.S. What fish do you have in there at the moment? I can see something small swimming around...
He has a few minnows and a couple 3-4 inch bluegill. By minnow i assume gambusia.

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018

View attachment 1370229

A couple of small blue gill i cast netted and lots of gambusia. My friends mom wanted to give me a running ten gallon with two huge (5-6 inch) goldfish, some time back. My 30 gallon tank was fully stocked and i did not want another tank in my tiny house, so i declined. After the water chemistry in the pond settles, I will obtain them. Might get rid of the bluegill then, and maybe the minnows if they fin nip, though I would hate to, they eat mosquito larvae.

Interesting concept on the plants. Thanks

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
He has a few minnows and a couple 3-4 inch bluegill. By minnow i assume gambusia.
yes, mainly to cycle it and control mosquitos. They are very hardy, I have a small kiddy pool with zero filtration and i fill with city water and no dechlorinator, they thrive. IIRC, chlorine quickly evaporates from open water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store