If it fits in another fish's mouth ......

Nick Park

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
Drogheda, Ireland
Sometimes we forget the most basic of lessons.

Most of the synodontis I see in LFS here in Ireland tend to be some kind of nondescript hybrid. But yesterday I spotted some beautiful petricolas - perfect colouring and markings - at just $10. They were small, just under an inch, but imagining them grown out and in my African tank prompted me to buy a couple (ended up getting 3 as the LFS does a 3 for 2 offer).

I've always been impressed by the survival skills of the mutt hybrids I've got before - they seem adept at finding the many crevices and corners in a tank full of rocks and mbuna. Drop them in the tank when they're small, and they instantly seem able to find a hiding place, disappearing for a few weeks and only reappearing in open water once they're big enough to fend for themselves.

So I assumed the petricolas would have the same self-preservation genes. Big mistake! They just fluttered aimlessly round the tank, with their erratic swimming style acting like a dinner gong for the mbuna. I end up trying to net them while surrounded by 50 cichlids doing their best shark feeding frenzy imitation.

I actually managed to save two of them, and they're now in my little tetra tank until they grow a bit bigger - apparently none the worse for wear. But one of them was swallowed whole by a yellow-tailed acei that is normally the most peaceful fish in the African tank.

My fault for ignoring one of the most basic lessons. If it fits inside another fish's mouth, then that's probably where it will end up.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Sometimes we forget the most basic of lessons.

Most of the synodontis I see in LFS here in Ireland tend to be some kind of nondescript hybrid. But yesterday I spotted some beautiful petricolas - perfect colouring and markings - at just $10. They were small, just under an inch, but imagining them grown out and in my African tank prompted me to buy a couple (ended up getting 3 as the LFS does a 3 for 2 offer).

I've always been impressed by the survival skills of the mutt hybrids I've got before - they seem adept at finding the many crevices and corners in a tank full of rocks and mbuna. Drop them in the tank when they're small, and they instantly seem able to find a hiding place, disappearing for a few weeks and only reappearing in open water once they're big enough to fend for themselves.

So I assumed the petricolas would have the same self-preservation genes. Big mistake! They just fluttered aimlessly round the tank, with their erratic swimming style acting like a dinner gong for the mbuna. I end up trying to net them while surrounded by 50 cichlids doing their best shark feeding frenzy imitation.

I actually managed to save two of them, and they're now in my little tetra tank until they grow a bit bigger - apparently none the worse for wear. But one of them was swallowed whole by a yellow-tailed acei that is normally the most peaceful fish in the African tank.

My fault for ignoring one of the most basic lessons. If it fits inside another fish's mouth, then that's probably where it will end up.

I'll admit it forgot about the basic lesson also at one time or another.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yeah petricola are a little different from other synos. Thats why I like them and multis, they are out and about alot....unfortunately for you. I say the if it fits thing alot here it seems. So I agree with tlindsey tlindsey we forget that sometimes. Good thing you didnt loose the fish that ate it too with those spikes the cats have.

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Bummer that you lost the one, but as twentyleagues stated lucky that you didn't end up losing two fish. Personally I would get a few more to grow out, that species does best in larger groups, and just an FYI the vast majority of cats sold as S. petricola, are actually S. lucipinnis. Good luck

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Appreciate the sharing.

I am trying to rationalize the difference. Perhaps your prior synos instantly disappeared into the woodwork because they weren't stressed enough to forsake their self preservation instinct. These current ones were really a fry, tiny, and perhaps stressed enough (different water, what not...) to lose their wit for a little while during the initial introduction into a new tank and run away from stress and danger rather than hide from danger.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Appreciate the sharing.

I am trying to rationalize the difference. Perhaps your prior synos instantly disappeared into the woodwork because they weren't stressed enough to forsake their self preservation instinct. These current ones were really a fry, tiny, and perhaps stressed enough (different water, what not...) to lose their wit for a little while during the initial introduction into a new tank and run away from stress and danger rather than hide from danger.
Good point Viktor, and quite possible. I personally consider S. lucipinnis to be like canaries in a coal mine, IME if the water parameters are off they are typically the first fish in the tank to exhibit signs of stress.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good point Viktor, and quite possible. I personally consider S. lucipinnis to be like canaries in a coal mine, IME if the water parameters are off they are typically the first fish in the tank to exhibit signs of stress.
I didn't know. I should remember this trick. Thank you, Sensei.

FYI the vast majority of cats sold as S. petricola, are actually S. lucipinnis.
In my book (perhaps outdated) 99% or more, as learned from the PCF.

Nick Park

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
Drogheda, Ireland
just an FYI the vast majority of cats sold as S. petricola, are actually S. lucipinnis. Good luck
You're probably right. I spotted them in the LFS and there was no label on the tank to identify them. I asked the sales guy what kind of syno they were and he replied that they were a pictus not a syno because "synodontis are dark in colour"! But he wasn't sure because another staff member had dealt with them but "he often forgets to label the tanks". So I googled a few syno images and (probably mistakenly) identified them as petricolas.

They had put them in a tank with some trophies duboisi, so at least they got the lake right!

So probably are S.lucipinnis rather than petricola.

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
I learned that neon tetras are basically expensive fish food. seriously those guys get picked up for a snack by literally everything else. I first bought them when i started and put them with my angels (noob error, I know). as soon as my angels were big enough they decimated the neon population (having 3 golden gouramis in the same tank did not help) so i moved the survivors into another tank with a pair of small kois, 2 inch long balasharks and a betta. and they're almost gone again.... this time i still have to find the culprits...

Akeno071

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2015
I learned that neon tetras are basically expensive fish food. seriously those guys get picked up for a snack by literally everything else.
The opposite for me.
Until the last group of Angels my mother brought for herself. I had never seen any fish attack and eat another.
I guess we just had a very good lucky streak in that the previous group of Angelfish beforehand showed no interest in them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store