If only my boss wasn't right there...

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
I was at work today I work on a beef farm we were putting up fence by a small river. Probably about 10 ft or so wide and I was wading across to put fence on both sides. I say wading but its probably 5ft deep in the deepest spot. Where I was it was probably only 2 foot but in about 1 foot of water I saw a small 6" fish. I know its a fish it wasn't algae a twig or snake. It was built like a birchir exactly like one. I think it may have been a american eel, but I haven't ever seen one in the area I live in. It was a light brown 6" long pencil thin trying to get up stream and my boss was walking behind me or I would have stopped to examine it more thoroughly... I live in Ohio, anyone know what kind of fish it could have been? If you need more description ill write up more on its looks. But it was brown 6" long obviously a juvenile it was about the size of a pencil and had fins by the sides of its head.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
It's seems more often than not to be a lamprey when people observe an eel-like creature in a creek or small river. There is also an amphibian called a siren that resembles an eel and only has very small front legs, though I don't know if you have those in your region and they're most often found in muddy habitats, though "fins" by the head does sound kind of like the gill feathers that mudpuppies and sirens have. American eel is a possibility though depending on where you were at, and they do indeed have fins up near their head.
I can't think of anything else fitting your description.

Do you know what the river connects to, or what the name of it was? What part of ohio, or what county/city, were you in?

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Im near the beaver creek water shed and I think the river may be linked to mahoning river(my best guess after some research)... The water wasn't muddy at all and doesn't get muddy its clear to the bottom.

Did look like a lesser siren but they aren't in the mahoning river according to online information but doesn't mean one couldn't have gotten in. Too bad I didnt get to collect the little guy...

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
My very realistic guess is one of the offspring of the fluke man from that super-creepy X-Files episode.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Im near the beaver creek water shed and I think the river may be linked to mahoning river(my best guess after some research)... The water wasn't muddy at all and doesn't get muddy its clear to the bottom.

Did look like a lesser siren but they aren't in the mahoning river according to online information but doesn't mean one couldn't have gotten in. Too bad I didnt get to collect the little guy...
Then I don't see any reason that it wouldn't have been an American Eel where you were at.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
my very realistic guess is one of the offspring of the fluke man from that super-creepy X-Files episode.
But he's supposed to only liver in sewers. :\

N8sharpe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2012
Cincinnati

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Full body action swimming how a eel would