I'm 100% sure my blood parrot is better

craig_uk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2008
Hull, UK
its not possible to cut the back end of the fish off and not have 99% of fish die
Yep... afraid (with selective quoting :)) you've actually hit the nail on the head. Love heart parrots do actually have their tails cut off. barbaric act. Don't kid yourself by telling yourself its not.

Secondly, the likelihood of your "radioactive orange" fish being natural is pretty slim. the chances are that its been bleached and dyed (hence the lack of markings) Give google a search for jelly bean parrot cichlid. I'm sure you'll see some fish similar to yours.

Seems like your fish has had a pretty rough time of things so far eh?

And (and i mean this in the very VERY nicest way, even though it may not sound it) please don't post pictures. I (and most likely the rest of forum) don't want to see fish like that. They less adverts these fish get, the better in my opinion.

But, i cant tell you what to do with your fish, but i would like you to know the situation you are in.

Look after the fish the best you can, and next time, maybe go for a slightly more natural animal, you'll get much more enjoyment out of a creature behaving naturally, displaying natural colours and living a full, healthy life.

Sorry for the harsh words, it is seriously nothing personal, but i have a real disgust for the treatment these fish receive prior to going on sale.

Best of luck
Hope you get many happy years out of your fish.
Any problems and we're all here to help
Craggy

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
I just did a google image search of these things.

unbelievable.

they look like something you'd find swimming outside the nuclear power plant on The Simpsons.

craig_uk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2008
Hull, UK
The love heart jobs? or the jelly beans?... or god forbid the love heart jelly beans? :grinno:

Yeah, their all pretty grim inventions, made solely to sell fish to a mass market that know nothing about it. really does boil down to animal cruelty.

Guess that's why we're here eh?

Again, no pictures from the google trawling please, I'd rather not advertise these things. Gives fish keeping a bad name.

cheers for listening to my rant
Craggy

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
craig_uk;2089530; said:
The love heart jobs? or the jelly beans?... or god forbid the love heart jelly beans? :grinno:

I saw both, can't figure out which is more horrific, the tailless freak, or the white, with three bright pastel stripes painted along its sides.

craig_uk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2008
Hull, UK
Yea, both sorry examples of animals.

Just out of interest, (and to open the thread up a little) in the UK we have a scheme to ban dyed fish (led by popular mag practical fish keeping) which has been working wonders.

In my 11 years (...Christ that's past) of true fish keeping, i think i've only ever seen dyed fish on sale once. Never been back to that store.

Do other countries have a similar scheme? I find it strange that so many people out there have dyed fish when in blighty, their relatively rare (that heavens)

Craggy

JenTN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2007
Knoxville, TN
I live in Tennessee and find it sickening the number of dyed and tattooed fish that I can find around here. I found a GREAT dog groomer but stopped going because the store that had the grooming shop sold tattooed fish.

The other day I saw some of these poor parrots- they were green, orange, and purple. I just felt sooo sorry for them. I read somewhere that for every 200 that live, 800 die or something like that. And the ones that live usually last about six months. It is truly, truly sad.

With all the beautiful natural colors in cichlids, I just don't understand the need to do this to these poor fish.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
I've only seen one dyed fish in person, at my LFS. it was a rather large cichlid (species unknown because of the mutilation).

they took it in from someone getting rid of it.

why the hell would anyone do that to a fish, or buy a fish that's been mutilated?

some people (and this is never gonna change) just see fish as ornaments (like plants), not living creatures.

we can't change the world; just the parts we touch.

Passionate 4 pikes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2008
Manaus, Brazil
craig_uk;2089450; said:
Yep... afraid (with selective quoting :)) you've actually hit the nail on the head. Love heart parrots do actually have their tails cut off. barbaric act. Don't kid yourself by telling yourself its not.

Secondly, the likelihood of your "radioactive orange" fish being natural is pretty slim. the chances are that its been bleached and dyed (hence the lack of markings) Give google a search for jelly bean parrot cichlid. I'm sure you'll see some fish similar to yours.

Seems like your fish has had a pretty rough time of things so far eh?

And (and i mean this in the very VERY nicest way, even though it may not sound it) please don't post pictures. I (and most likely the rest of forum) don't want to see fish like that. They less adverts these fish get, the
better in my opinion.

But, i cant tell you what to do with your fish, but i would like you to know the situation you are in.

Look after the fish the best you can, and next time, maybe go for a slightly more natural animal, you'll get much more enjoyment out of a creature behaving naturally, displaying natural colours and living a full, healthy life.

Sorry for the harsh words, it is seriously nothing personal, but i have a real disgust for the treatment these fish receive prior to going on sale.

Best of luck
Hope you get many happy years out of your fish.
Any problems and we're all here to help
Craggy
I agree couldnt have said it better myself. if i were in your shoes i would trade it for a natural fish.

haysanatar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
Tennessee
its not a jelly bean by any means
its the orange they usually are just solid the others it was with weren't solid
It sucks what they do to them I'd get rid of it
but I know its happy where it is.
its the boss of the tank.
yeah I've even seen tattooed frogs reasontly
I don't do the tattooed stuff and the colors on this aren't tatte'd up

craig_uk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2008
Hull, UK
Fair play then, i dont advocate getting rid of the little bugger, hell, its better in your tank then in the LFS :D

Just wanted to put across the point that blood parrots (not the most popular cichlid in the first place, for many reasons) get a lot of bad press due to these dispicable acts.

Craggy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store