IM IN NEED OF HELP ASAP with green terror and macaw cichlid aggression

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
maybe ill try it out i was gonna get some giant danios j bc theyre so damn cheap at petco. my oscar was the first fish in the tank and is extremely dominant and like on another page than the rest of the fish. hes more concerned with fighting me than the fish lol. he charges at fish occasionally but its obvious he does it just to assert dominance because he doesnt even come near the fish. he is currently trying to kill an 8-9” pleco so thats cool they seem to have the most problems which i kinda ignore bc its an armored catfish. maybe ill try red belly piranhas instead of silver dollars?
Giant danios will work just as well, both are really cheap.
I hope you were kidding about the piranhas. If you weren’t, I’ll save you the trouble and say that you better really like piranhas, because they will clean out the tank in about a month. I’ve also seen first hand that cichlids will lip lock piranhas, and it’s not a pretty picture.
In other words, DO NOT PUT PIRANHAS IN THERE!

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Giant danios will work just as well, both are really cheap.
I hope you were kidding about the piranhas. If you weren’t, I’ll save you the trouble and say that you better really like piranhas, because they will clean out the tank in about a month. I’ve also seen first hand that cichlids will lip lock piranhas, and it’s not a pretty picture.
In other words, DO NOT PUT PIRANHAS IN THERE!
?

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Dither fish like giant danios don't do much to curb cichlid aggression or even spread out cichlid aggression. Dithers makes other fish feel safe to swim out in the open or worse case, make other fish more jittery because dithers are the alarm for predators. The only distraction they provide is how safe the environment is around them.

Target fish are used to spread cichlid aggression, of which the target fish are other cichlids. An African cichlid tank is a great example of spreading aggression using target cichlids. You don't see the keeper using giant danios to spread aggression.

When a cichlid hates another cichlid with a passion, it will ignore the warning signs from dithers and it will ignore other cichlids.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Dither fish like giant danios don't do much to curb cichlid aggression or even spread out cichlid aggression. Dithers makes other fish feel safe to swim out in the open or worse case, make other fish more jittery because dithers are the alarm for predators. The only distraction they provide is how safe the environment is around them.

Target fish are used to spread cichlid aggression, of which the target fish are other cichlids. An African cichlid tank is a great example of spreading aggression using target cichlids. You don't see the keeper using giant danios to spread aggression.

When a cichlid hates another cichlid with a passion, it will ignore the warning signs from dithers and it will ignore other cichlids.
+1 Target fish can also settle a bickering pair in some cases by giving them other fish to worry about, protect their territory from, etc.

The piranhas could solve your problem. Kill your other fish, no more problem. :)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My reasons for loving piranha:
I love predatory animals
Piranhas are beautiful in coloration
They are really interesting in behavior
Those teeth
How misunderstood they are, makes for a fun story.
They remind me of dumber velociraptors

Among my top 3 favorite fish, next to zebra lionfish and great white sharks.
There is a certain beauty to piranhas, it is hard to explain. I feel like only piranha lovers understand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store