I'm interested in breeding fish in my 45k gal pond in CA. Can anyone suggest fish?

Catweed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
Hi!

I finally finished my dream pond last fall, a 45,000 gallon European swim pond with spa. Half is a giant bio filter of plants and gravel, the other half a walked swim area from 4 to 7 feet. There is a spa made of stone, with jets. The fish can swim anywhere. Max temp is 85, but lower in the deep. I don't have a min yet, but it's not cold enough to snow here. I have no herons, raccoons, or turtles, no predator fish yet.... I might need one to control populations.

It turns out the only pond fish in this area are koi and goldfish. I put 5 in for the winter and had to buy giant minnow seines and herd almost 40 goldfish into them this summer. I kept 3 shubukin and missed capturing 5 more normal fish, darn it! My 5 baby bluegill and 5 sunfish purchased from a fish farm have been reproducing like crazy as are the rosy minnows. So these fish are flourishing and don't need fed. I might need a bass to clean house at this rate!

Though the pond will drop below 60, 70 atm, I bought a few yellow males guppies and yellow and red females. I've dropped off over 300 beautiful fish at the local fish store to sell, though of course they gave me nothing. I am catching as many as I can before it's cold and hope a few crossed with the male mosquito fish and live. The most lovely I've kept in a tank to bed next year. :) My friend is dropping of baby chichlids since her adults will just eat them. Better to freeze than be dinner! Tropical fish have 6 months to get busy in here, but these will get one to acclimate or die. I'm not sure if this is enough time for egg layers, but might try a few that are on sale next year. Are there any rare guppy species that I could sell?

I've added a few other fish this summer that are either gone without bodies, or hiding. Out of 4 plecos, 2 I see regularly that are over a foot long. I can see their eaten algae trail! The 5th pleco in my aquarium is only 3 inches. Lol One very happy clown loach shows up in the deepest water. One chinese algae eater is almost a foot. I saw him for the first time in 6 months last week, on a white rock. These are the missing fish that left no bodies as I usually see: my only koi, small yellow butterfly, 1 black Molly, 1 yellow spotted catfish, and sadly 3 tall finned sharks. The sharks and koi were seen for a week in the deepest area, then out of sight. :'( I only hope that next spring they appear.

I'd really be interested in breeding a few species of fish next year since whatever I put in here in breeding numbers thrives. This isn't an ordinary pond, more like a big aquarium I can snorkel in. If breeding works, maybe a partner that's biz savvy will want to ship and sell. Does anyone have suggestions?

Any suggestions on string algae control are welcome too. I've had to resort to copper, which lasts a few days only. Muck buster and barley extract failed. There are less nitites and nitrates in here than my aquarium so it's living off sunlite? I'm hand pulling 50lbs of string algae a week!

Thanks for your help!20160407_171454.jpg 20160802_202204.jpg 20161001_204017.jpg 20160413_170910.jpg 1471740492792.jpg 20160820_195253.jpg 20160623_193115.jpg PSX_20151122_011501.jpg 20160407_171454.jpg 20160802_202204.jpg 20161001_204017.jpg 20160413_170910.jpg 1471740492792.jpg 20160820_195253.jpg 20160623_193115.jpg PSX_20151122_011501.jpg

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
That is a massive pond, lucky you !!! What kind of cichlids are your friends gonna throw in there ? It looks beautiful

Catweed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
I have no idea. She's bringing them tomorrow. But they will likely not survive the pond temps below 60. I told her every time her fish reproduce that I'll take them. She's been removing the plants so they eat up the babies each time.

I don't know anything about them, but if they breed so easily maybe there's some in demand i could raise. They'd keep my baby bluegill under check. :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Catweed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
The algae is maddening despite heavy filtration. I can see several inches of it growing per day and it would take over if I wasn't cleaning it up with a rake and skimmer every few days. I need fish that eat algae badly. If my plecos survive the winter, I'm buying a herd of them. It's like swimming with someone's hair wrapping around my legs! You can see my lovely Cedar walls are just a mass of green hair, along with the deep end where I usually jump in.

I'll take some recent photos with the gopro tomorrow and a photo of the chichlids. I might keep a few in my guppy tank to see their color until they get too big.

1475998374662.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
First don't use copper sulfate to kill algae as it can kill some fish species(like some catfishes and scaless fishes)good algae eating fishes include flying fox fish,longfin golden bushynose plecos( breed well too),amano shrimp and Oto catfish. U can also slow down algae by adding a couple hardy water lilies.
Have u thought of putting a green house film over the pool to heat it in winter?
Easy fish that could breed in your pond:celestial danios,Congo tetras,Altums,discus,mascara barbs,longfin white clouds,cherry and rosy barbs,golden gourami,and a variety of fancy freshwater shrimp,.
U could also grow out a few clown loaches and bala sharks( b cuz they r worth more when bigger and a trio of balsa will thin tiny fish a little).

Catweed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
Wow! All these fish can live in my pond all winter? Are any of these cold water fish? If so, I'd gladly stock up on plecos. My two out there eat all around them. Where do you guys buy your more unusual fish? It sounds like I could breed an entire tropical aquarium out here next year! Maybe they'll see on Craig's list. Lol

Is the greenhouse plastic something that just floats on top of the surface of the non planted area? I just heard about a pond heating system that is basically the solar water heaters that go on your roof, but instead you lay it on the ground brb the pond and circulate pond water through it. Have you heard of or tried these?

At the moment I'm worried about my plecos and tropical fish. It's impossible to catch them in such a large pond. If either of these could heat it over 60 degrees, I'd be elated! I turned half the chichlids out there today. Loving it. I have 30 days to find solutions before the temps drop. I'm buying a 50 gallon stock tank tomorrow to set up as a quarantine tank and an overpowering tank for those plecos if I catch them. If I can't find a way to keep my tropical fish, I've thought about trying to breed tall finned shark, flagfish, and butterfly koi. Koi aren't my favorite, but I fell in love with a few butterfly. The sharks and koi eat algae too.

My water is 9 ph. Do I need to lower it? I'm wondering if it's the cause or the effect of the algae. I guess I need the dye since my water is so clear it is impossible to tell apart from drinking water. :'(

Here are my new chichlids!! I'll get more go pro pics tomorrow before I stir up the water dragging out algae. :) I'm so happy to see one of my sharks thriving. I've heard they don't breed in captivity, but I'm hoping since two fish stores said they'd buy them. I'll start taking a look at the fish you mentioned too. So exciting to have ideas!!! Ty

1476070960921.jpg

Catweed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
Oh, all my water lillies are sick. It seems to me, it's the algae around them which is covered with insects that is the issue, but can it be ph? I don't have a recent photo, but these show them mid summer.

If anyone has any ideas of why they are not doing well, please let me know. The plant behind them isn't ding well either. This best floating algae is packed with hopping spider like insects. But I know if no insecticide safe for pond use. The yellow small leaved lillies spread like crazy early, but was over taken with this fungus you see, so I cut it all out. The other lillies barely get green leaves. :(

20160622_185647.jpg

20160622_185736.jpg

20160622_185755.jpg

20160622_185905.jpg

20160622_184434.jpg

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Awesome, my dream yard.

I hope you get your algae situation solved. If this is your first season I wouldn't over analyze to much, I'm sure things will settle into a balance for you.

Congrats and keep pictures coming!

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Nice pond. Try spraying your water lilies with BT(bacilus thur.)once a month and that should keep any bugs off them. Be sure to keep them fertilized(monthly) and they should be good to go

IMG_0587.JPG

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The greenhouse film can be a foot or two over the water,u will need to heat the area inside tho:a couple air heaters could work,(like the kind that heats a room)just don't expect them to last more than a couple years. All the fish I listed can live in the same pond,all your fish need about 72 degree or higher water tempature.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store