I'm not that clumsy!

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Parka Parka SELF REPORTING!

1. Air Pump. I have 4 what I call 'Cooling Towers' in Chicago, it's 4 flower pots with a fat air stone and led light. I wish they really did cool the water because the water temperature is 82 already. But that's another topic with its own #! My air pump situation is not settled yet. The silvery pump on the left is rated at 18 watts and it puts out a good robust flow at all four towers. But it is very noisy even in the basement. So I bought that one on the right, rated at 10 watts and advertised as 'Quiet'. Well it really is super quiet, surprisingly so! But the output of air was just so flimsy compared to the noisy pump, it was such a visual letdown that I hooked up that noisy pump again.
Pump v pump.jpgPump v pump.jpg

Here's my plan. Chicago sits up against the wall that is right next to the garage on the first floor level. I wanna jab a hole through the wall and put my noisy pump in the garage and just run a longer air line from the air pump to the splitter.

2. 82 degree water temp. Just by removing a lid, evaporation can lower the temp 4 degrees or so and add a small fan, however, I also don't want to have humidity problems. I run a dehumidifier 24-7 anyway. My warm water concerns are not going away on their own until Oct. I'm thinking a block of ice erry once in a while?!?
IMG_20230519_150923.jpgIMG_20230519_150923.jpg
That's weird!.jpgRock collecting.jpgRock Smithing.jpg

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
It's me again, Parka Parka Self Reporting!

1. Self Reporting. I do it to keep my thoughts orderly and to report the stories of my day life.

2. Cooling Towers. The purpose of the cooling towers was or is visual interest. Because the tank was so empty I just came up with a quick and temporary scene.
Towers #1 and 2 will be dismantled and removed to make room a visual dream in the making... Pictures will be posted as progress progresses and a Good Time Shan't be Denied, EVER!

3. Australia. I LOVE that place and I never even been there, Dang it! Ever since Madonna was just 10 years old and probably all bratty assed, Me, I was in 4th grade and I don't know if I daydreamed it or wrote an assignment but we studied Australia in the classroom and I have been fascinated ever since. It was in the Fall of 1968 and my plan at the time was to be a carpenter in Australia if I ever grow all the way up.😅 There's still time if I hurry up!

4. Service Animal. I have one. I don't like to say I 'own' him, I just don't. And NO it's not a fish! I don't remember if I already mentioned but I'm an Army Veteran and I requested a service animal and the VA came through with a beautiful animal in every way. I will show pics on my next report.

Good Day, Sirs and Ladies!

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Parka Parka Self Reporting!

1. Since nobody wants to play, A Fancy Self Report Shan't be Denied!
2. Questions, I got a bag full and I ain't gonna ask 'em until I feel the time is righteous!
3. Chicago's Water Temp. I dropped it A FULL TEN DEGREES just by using evaporation!!! From 82 to 72 degrees in just three days...
Here's what i did: I opened two lids halfway. There are four lids across the top of Chicago. And then I placed a small fan blowing air over and at the moving waters.
3a. The real trick was that during the night time, those three nights had low temps in the mid 50's and I also opened a window and placed another fan in the window and there was a distinct chill in the room... Ten FULL degrees lowered in the water.
4. Plants. Instead of trying to grow plants in the tank, the Koi won't let it succeed, my plan is to grow house plants hydroponically across the top of Chicago to condition the water, I got plans! My Skimmer - Trickle Tower - Stream Out - Waterfall system will be the base for the plant plan.
5. Plywood aquariums are so simple to build! Beginner skills with a good attitude will get it done!

Reactions: deeda and pacu mom

Fish rescue

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2023
obviously you have skills it's holding water and looks great. .... that room is awesome why the walls and ceiling not rocked up and painted with exterior paint , 1/2" tempered glass is strong enough as you said , seam strength will need good attention , even seam armored with additional glass pieces , I have no idea if know that giant air pumps made for septic systems are available in many sizes , drive a good fan across the water surface will cool things down , wow lol , goldies enjoy sifting through sand , large pool filter sand , if I may 1" stones doesn't allow this , big water changes often is key with monster aquariums right ,

Last edited:
Reactions: Parka

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
obviously you have skills it's holding water and looks great. .... that room is awesome why the walls and ceiling not rocked up and painted with exterior paint , 1/2" tempered glass is strong enough as you said , seam strength will need good attention , even seam armored with additional glass pieces , I have no idea if know that giant air pumps made for septic systems are available in many sizes , drive a good fan across the water surface will cool things down , wow lol , goldies enjoy sifting through sand , large pool filter sand , if I may 1" stones doesn't allow this , big water changes often is key with monster aquariums right ,
Thanks for the Friendly Commentary, it will make a great Self Report! Let us begin, Shall We?

Parka Parka , Self REPORTING with Vigor and Gusto!
1. Ceiling and Walls. Especially the ceiling. Holy Smokes would I ever like to get all that insulation covered up with... Something! I hope it will happen before the New Year. I can't work on the ceiling on account my arms ain't long enough! Dang it!

2. Agree on the glass, thank you.

3. Seam Strength. I have it in Spades! Those very long butt joints are glued and screwed and I use a pocket hole jig to make very strong joints. That's Chicago before the second layer of plywood is fastened on.
Seam Strength.jpg

4. Large air pumps. I would like to learn how to use air instead of those fun pumps. I like Pumps! See for yourself! In front of the pumpers is the Official Naval Fleet of the City Series of Aquariums. The Laws of the Waters Shall be enforced with Vigor & Gusto! There has bean Vandals about...
Naval Force + 3 pumps.jpg

Water Changes. The tap water showed zero ppm nitrates and Chicago has been up for one month and the nitrates look like this:
Nitrates.jpg
Maybe 40 or 50 ppm? Also after one month I can visually tell that the pre filters are ready to be swapped out. And then after the new filter boxes are in place, the old filters can be cleaned at my leisure for the next swap out. I thought it was cool how you compared a UG filter to a septic system, I guess that's exactly what it is! I like to say it's the same process that municipal water treatment plants use. Anyway, a 50% water change, the tank size, no matter, 50%, Crap! 400+ gallons.

I have decided to not feed as much and I hope my plant plan helps to keep the nitrates manageable without too frequent water changes.

6. Water Temperature. It is holding at 72.3 degrees and the air temp is currently 77. Using a small fan to aid evaporation, I am so pleased with how well that works. I will be happy if I can keep the water below 80 degrees, 78 even better!

7. Gravel. I dry sifted the gravel in four grades from course sand, fine gravel, medium gravel, and the full size pea gravel. It made rinsing the pea gravel much better minus those three lesser sized gravels. I used the pea gravel in the tank and I have buckets of the smaller sizes, very nice! The Goldfish just sorta pick at the bottom but those Koi, the GARGLE the gravel! I love my Goldies! They are smart and they recognize their tank mates. On two different occasions, I had my fishes separated for several days and when I returned John Candy to Akron, his tank mates mobbed him with Goldfish Love! And when I witnessed it a second time when Bumbles finally landed in Chicago, all of his Koi Friends were all over him! It was real and unmistakable, the fish were so alert and vibrant and pumped, so COOL to witness.
Sifted gravel sizes.jpg

Fish rescue

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2023
I'm happy you enjoyed ,yup 75 -76 is the perfect Goldy temp you'll notice they stop swimming happy under 70. , pack em with greens lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Parka

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
pack em with greens lol
I fed them giant dandylions and similar looking plants, it was when I leak tested Chicago so the tank was bare of gravel with just circulation and one box filter. It was a mess in the water but after a couple days all that was left was some tough somewhat woody roots. I want to try it again and see how it goes.

After up 5 weeks I assumed the pre filter boxes would be needing cleaned, I was so surprised that both boxes were clear except for some settled silt inside the box from the first few days of the pump running. And the gravel floor still looks immaculate, this has me a bit baffled because in Akron, much smaller than Chicago, that filter box after 4 weeks, when I cleaned it, it was almost like ringing out mud from the trap sponges, however Akron was heavily planted but still, ... why aren't my filters MUCH dirtier???

I don't have a self report ready because I'm shy of relevant info. However, I can offer a level of entertainment for those willing to be entertained, with Pics!

This first picture is an unmistakable Tribute Decor, the Roman Colosseum!
Roman Colosseum Tribute.jpg

Does anybody remember when the Vandals sacked Rome, it was this month in 455, anyway, look what them Rotten Vandals did to my Colosseum Tribute meant for Chicago! I'm pretty sure they took turns playing with all my walkers and wheelchairs too! Them No Good Rotten Vandals! GD IT!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store