Improving a Penguin 350/375

Danny 1018

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2022
If I used 4 Aquaclear 70 sponges instead of the thin Marineland cartridges, any idea how much I will improve tank rating of the filter ?

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
If I used 4 Aquaclear 70 sponges instead of the thin Marineland cartridges, any idea how much I will improve tank rating of the filter ?
On my 75g I actually have both a penguin and an AC110 and the penguin is such a better filter, the AC rattles at times and has bad flow adjustment but the triple filtration system is far superior than the penguins filters but then the penguin os really quiet has really nice flow and is easier to install than the other (to me atleast, for some reason I cannot get the lid ontop of my AC110) sorry for the rambling but your idea is honestly really really good but what if instead of just the sponges you laid the sponges with carbon ontop and then bio rings.

Dutchaj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
I got a couple free marineland filters and just put poret foam in them and they work great, I wouldnt buy brand specific pre-cut foam (expensive), just order a sheet of poret and cut to fit. Swiss Tropicana is the dealer for poret. He will cut to specs for you as well.

Community Disorganizer

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have penguin filters on all my tanks and they all work great. I use 30 ppm sponges in them opposed to the gimmik of buying new filters every month and throwing out your beneficial bacteria.

The only con about them is the impeller can be noisy, but I have my tanks in my basement, so noise isn't a concern.

Reactions: tlindsey

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I still have two Penguin 350's in use. One came with a used tank purchased in mid 2017, the other I bought new same year. Both work well. Since the beginning, I modified the media in, so that it is washable and non-disposable (see attached image). I have never bought cartridges and don't plan on doing so.
Currently I have 7 AC 110 (=500) in use, and a bunch of smaller ones (AC 50 = 200), and one AC 70 (=300).
I like both of these filters (AC and Penguin), more than any other HOB filters, and use them for different purposes. They deliver their flow in different manners, the Penguin does so on a mostly flat-along-the-surface manner, the Aquaclear throws the water deeper into the water column. Of course one can modify the manner either delivers its flow.

Penguin 350 filter set-up comp.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store