In-breeding

blue_pill85

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2006
peoria il
heres another imo from breeding fish and a few other things. inbreeding for traits its acceptable to breed mother to son son to daught but not brother to sister. idea being if there is a recessive trait it is almost 100% siblings are carriers resulting in deformation. but much less likely that one parent and one offspring out of hundreds will carry negative recessive but usually the positive traits are something visual so you cant know for sure. IDK if it makes sense how I explain it but thats the jist of it

windsurfer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2006
sconnie
blue_pill85;677424; said:
heres another imo from breeding fish and a few other things. inbreeding for traits its acceptable to breed mother to son son to daught but not brother to sister. idea being if there is a recessive trait it is almost 100% siblings are carriers resulting in deformation. but much less likely that one parent and one offspring out of hundreds will carry negative recessive but usually the positive traits are something visual so you cant know for sure. IDK if it makes sense how I explain it but thats the jist of it
makes sense to me! :grinno:

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I posted a questoin along these lines a while back, I think it was oddball that posted a nice excerpt from a book or something, it said in some cases in fish it can actually weed out impurities in the fish and make them stronger more healthy fish... but who knows lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store