In desperate need of a pet ferret

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
i'm not trolling or anything like that and I always thought about owning some myself but i read an article recently where a pet ferret chewed off a 4 month old babies fingers. the baby was only left with two thumbs and a pinky

just throwing that out there

Cichlid king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Caribbean
DavidW;4857776; said:
A while ago I was thinking of moving to the Caribbean to live.
Most islands have very strict laws about imported mammals and potential invasive species with strict rabies quarantine etc. I suspect that you will find it either illegal or very difficult to bring in a Ferret. Ferrets can be extremely destructive to local wildlife if they escape.
First you should check with the laws from the Island you want to bring the animal into, see if it is even possible.
The laws in my country are a bit more soft. I know guys who own pet Spider monkeys. As for pet ferret escaping. That will never happen under my supervision!

Cichlid king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Caribbean
svang55;4857864; said:
i'm not trolling or anything like that and I always thought about owning some myself but i read an article recently where a pet ferret chewed off a 4 month old babies fingers. the baby was only left with two thumbs and a pinky

just throwing that out there
From my readings, stuff like that happen because of neglecting the ferret. Also you should never leave a pet unattended with a minor. Same goes for ALL pets. I've heard similar stories about dogs AND cats.

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
Cichlid king;4858052; said:
The laws in my country are a bit more soft. I know guys who own pet Spider monkeys. As for pet ferret escaping. That will never happen under my supervision!
At the time I was thinking of moving to Jamaica, they have strict rules about quarantine. Which Island are you on? Wish I was there now, so tired of this cold and snow

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
Cichlid king;4858057; said:
From my readings, stuff like that happen because of neglecting the ferret. Also you should never leave a pet unattended with a minor. Same goes for ALL pets. I've heard similar stories about dogs AND cats.
:thumbsup: :iagree:

i'm not saying that you are, but nobody can blame the ferret (or any other animal) for things like that. this is just a case of stupid parenting, it's a shame the kid had to pay for it.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Cichlid king;4858057; said:
oh for sure, wasn't the animal's fault

in this particular case, the dad killed the ferret too

Dreamsing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas
If you can get one, Critter Nation cages are perfect for ferrets as a sleeping place. I have one for my rats and a friend has one for her chinchilla. they are the best cages.

They are also easy to clean, major plus with musky pets like male rats and ferrets.

evilxyardxgnome

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
twitter.com

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
PLEASE, Before you get your pet Ferret, Find yourself a vet on the island that knows about Ferret care. Make sure you have a good source for acceptable Ferret Kibble. Also, Anyone that goes to a rescue and gets you a Ferret with intentions of shipping it to you should be asked to find out a health history of the animal. You don't want someone to pick up a 4 year old malnourished animal from a rescue that suffers from Adrenal disease, Blood Toxemia or worse.

Baby Ferrets, Spayed or Nuetered from the local Petco go for $109.00 - $175.00 USD. Shipping this animal will cost over $100.00 And special care should be made for shipping. Hopefully someone who has experience shipping small animals can help you out. BUT AGAIN, Please find yourself a knowledgeable Ferret vet before you aquire the animal. Last thing you want is to notice your Ferret has small bruising around the ears or starts loosing their fur around the base of the tail and have no one to help you.

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store