In desperate need of a pet ferret

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
Dreamsing;4858168; said:
If you can get one, Critter Nation cages are perfect for ferrets as a sleeping place. I have one for my rats and a friend has one for her chinchilla. they are the best cages.

They are also easy to clean, major plus with musky pets like male rats and ferrets.
Martin's cages is a much better cage for Ferretry. Also with good diet and proper care the "Musky odor" really doesn't exist with Captive bred ferrets today as most Ferret farms Spay, Neuter and Descent their ferrets at a very young age. Private breeders sell their ferrets unaltered with contract to have them Spayed, or neutered after 6 months of age. It's believed in the ferret community that spaying the animal at such a young age the way ferret farms do is a cause for most of the health issues ferret's endure.

That being said I have an unaltered female ferret that has no more or no less odor then my 2 Marshall's Ferrets, of my 1 Pet Valley Ferret.

Mike

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Mavrick813;4858472; said:
PLEASE, Before you get your pet Ferret, Find yourself a vet on the island that knows about Ferret care. Make sure you have a good source for acceptable Ferret Kibble. Also, Anyone that goes to a rescue and gets you a Ferret with intentions of shipping it to you should be asked to find out a health history of the animal. You don't want someone to pick up a 4 year old malnourished animal from a rescue that suffers from Adrenal disease, Blood Toxemia or worse.

Baby Ferrets, Spayed or Nuetered from the local Petco go for $109.00 - $175.00 USD. Shipping this animal will cost over $100.00 And special care should be made for shipping. Hopefully someone who has experience shipping small animals can help you out. BUT AGAIN, Please find yourself a knowledgeable Ferret vet before you aquire the animal. Last thing you want is to notice your Ferret has small bruising around the ears or starts loosing their fur around the base of the tail and have no one to help you.

Mike
the voice of wisdom has spoken

Cichlid king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Caribbean
Mavrick813;4858472; said:
PLEASE, Before you get your pet Ferret, Find yourself a vet on the island that knows about Ferret care. Make sure you have a good source for acceptable Ferret Kibble. Also, Anyone that goes to a rescue and gets you a Ferret with intentions of shipping it to you should be asked to find out a health history of the animal. You don't want someone to pick up a 4 year old malnourished animal from a rescue that suffers from Adrenal disease, Blood Toxemia or worse.

Baby Ferrets, Spayed or Nuetered from the local Petco go for $109.00 - $175.00 USD. Shipping this animal will cost over $100.00 And special care should be made for shipping. Hopefully someone who has experience shipping small animals can help you out. BUT AGAIN, Please find yourself a knowledgeable Ferret vet before you aquire the animal. Last thing you want is to notice your Ferret has small bruising around the ears or starts loosing their fur around the base of the tail and have no one to help you.

Mike
My friend is a Vet, and she knows everything about small mammals (including ferrets).

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
Cichlid king;4858654; said:
My friend is a Vet, and she knows everything about small mammals (including ferrets).
I Always preach about Ferret Vets. Just found myself in a position to fork out about $600.00 to have a surgery done on my girl. And she has the best of everything and stuff still goes wrong.

Mike

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
200 bucks is way too much for a ferret. I bought each of mine for 100$ each. Love the little ****heads but god do they get into everything.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
I dont think it is legal to adopt an animal then transfer ownership, let alone ship out of the country. This endeavor sounds like a bad idea all around.

Mavrick, thats a real beauty, looks like a mink.

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
Oscarum monstruoso;4859563; said:
Mavrick, thats a real beauty, looks like a mink.
I know, I love it. All ferret. Excellent look, Great personality. And she hates the mother in law. HA HA HA.

I got her form Just a Business of Ferrets, Met the breeder at the Ferret Fandango in Gilberstville, PA. Nice lady. Awesome breeding stock. I'm currently lining up an adoption from GFX Ferrets.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jbferret/index.html

http://www.gfxferret.com/

My goal is to find a Ferret as close to this as possible.

This is Xonorik, He's a Ferret / Polecat Hybrid. Breeders have been line breeding pure Ferrets from the US with Pure Imports from overseas to try and accomplish this look without the Hybrid. GFX is on the money with their breeding stock and Just a Business is right behind them. And my girl "Showstopper" has a temperment unlike any Petco ferret I have ever kept.

Mike

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
Oscarum monstruoso;4859563; said:
I dont think it is legal to adopt an animal then transfer ownership, let alone ship out of the country. This endeavor sounds like a bad idea all around.
I have to agree with this. But we all know that when someone wants something bad enough they will go to great lengths to get it. No matter what legalities they forget about.

Mike

msbordes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
Whitestone, NY
I had a beautiful ferret!! make sure you get a male, because the females stink horribly. They are illegal in many states (why, I dont know)...They are awesome pets! I bought mine in Connecticut...maybe find a state that sells them and have it shipped to you...that's the best advice I can give. And whomever told you that they are too expensive didn't know what they were talking about. They are $300-$400 tops from what I remember (maybe less). Search on craigslist. Hope this helped and good luck!!
~Melissa

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store