In desperate need of a pet ferret

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
msbordes;4859612; said:
I had a beautiful ferret!! make sure you get a male, because the females stink horribly. They are illegal in many states (why, I dont know)...They are awesome pets! I bought mine in Connecticut...maybe find a state that sells them and have it shipped to you...that's the best advice I can give. And whomever told you that they are too expensive didn't know what they were talking about. They are $300-$400 tops from what I remember (maybe less). Search on craigslist. Hope this helped and good luck!!
~Melissa
Did you even read the OP?

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
Mavrick813;4859586; said:
I know, I love it. All ferret. Excellent look, Great personality. And she hates the mother in law. HA HA HA.

I got her form Just a Business of Ferrets, Met the breeder at the Ferret Fandango in Gilberstville, PA. Nice lady. Awesome breeding stock. I'm currently lining up an adoption from GFX Ferrets.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jbferret/index.html

http://www.gfxferret.com/

My goal is to find a Ferret as close to this as possible.

This is Xonorik, He's a Ferret / Polecat Hybrid. Breeders have been line breeding pure Ferrets from the US with Pure Imports from overseas to try and accomplish this look without the Hybrid. GFX is on the money with their breeding stock and Just a Business is right behind them. And my girl "Showstopper" has a temperment unlike any Petco ferret I have ever kept.

Mike
in what way?

also, let me know when they get a nice one that looks like this!!!

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
ScatMan;4860517; said:
in what way?
First off she's got more energy then my Marshalls and Pet Valley Ferrets. Marshalls and Pet Valley are commercial breeders in the states that just breed ferrets and maintain as healthy of a line as possible. But they neuter and descent the males at roughly 6 weeks of age. And spay and descent the females at the same age. Due to this the animals don't have the correct amounts of estrogen and testosterone to develop properly. My guys are all smaller then my female, they are also more passive, lack energy and aren't nearly as ambitious. For someone who has never owned an unaltered animal I doubt they would notice. But because I have all 4 of mine together and I can see them interact and the size difference I notice. In addition it is a lot easier for me to correct behaviors in my males then in my female. I personally believe it's because the males don't have the urge to test their limits due to the lower testosterone. Male unaltered ferrets are known to make lousy pets because they fight, stink horribly due to marking their territory and musking everything. And it's been known that breeders have lost a male or two because another male would decide it wanted to eliminate the competition.

I do plan on getting an Unaltered Male however I will be having him Nuetered at about 9 months. Well after he's reached his full size.

ScatMan;4860517; said:
also, let me know when they get a nice one that looks like this!!!
The picture is of a Wild Marbled Polecat. Good luck getting your hands on one of them. Xonorik is a hybrid between a Black European Wild Polecat and a Black Sable Ferret. He's a 50/50 mix hybrid. And from what I have read he's a nasty cuss. The breeder that had him was working on trying to dilute the polecat back into their breeding stock in order to develop Darker colored ferrets. GFX has accomplished this without the use of the Polecat. But if your truly trying to get your hands on a Marbled Polecat your looking in the wrong direction. You need to start looking toward Asia, Russia, and China, And even then I believe it's going to be Illegal for you to get one.

http://www.all-about-ferrets.com/marbled-polecat.html

Mike

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
I'm reading this and it all sounds like one of the most very ill advised thread ever.

First of all, how old are you?

Are ferrets legal in your country?

What are the import/export laws of non-indigenous wildlife of the US and your country?

Do you need health certificates, does it need quarantine in a government facility, or any other permit regulations?

Those of you who are offering help is just insane without asking the above questions, particularly the idea of adopting one from a shelter and fly it out of the country. I don't even know what to say to that.

If the only reason your local pet shops won't order one is because they're afraid no customer would buy, then obviously you can pre-pay for them to bring one in, no?

Cichlid king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Caribbean
M|L;4861404; said:
I'm reading this and it all sounds like one of the most very ill advised thread ever.

First of all, how old are you?

Are ferrets legal in your country?

What are the import/export laws of non-indigenous wildlife of the US and your country?

Do you need health certificates, does it need quarantine in a government facility, or any other permit regulations?

Those of you who are offering help is just insane without asking the above questions, particularly the idea of adopting one from a shelter and fly it out of the country. I don't even know what to say to that.

If the only reason your local pet shops won't order one is because they're afraid no customer would buy, then obviously you can pre-pay for them to bring one in, no?

1. They're legal.

2. Non-indiegenous wild life are allowed. I know people with all sorts of pets including spider monkeys.

3. Yes, I think you do need a health certificate, but those are easy to get.

4. I tried that, but many of them said no. They wouldn't waste their time bringing in one just for me. They're very selfish people you see.

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
M|L;4861404; said:
I offered to help. And yes, I checked. I even contacted my local shelter first to also check of there were any legal issues. Please realize the shelter I am referring to is not a hole in the wall series of dark and dirty cages...instead it is a very well funded, well staffed and extremely well maintained facility.

I was only unsure on how to actually ship a mammal internationally. Yeah, it's not like running down to the post office and mailing a love letter...but I asked the OP to look into shipping while I checked into laws and obstacles here.

Personally, I intended to see how serious the OP was about the whole transaction before I adopted the animal for him of course. If he wasn't or isn't able to make shipping or payment arrangements, then of course I wouldn't do the paper work on this end. And to be honest, I doubted and doubt it happens. The cost to pull this off legally and morally is going to be expensive. And, it would be the only way I would be involved.

Please have some faith that some who offered to help aren't "insane".

Cichlid king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Caribbean
CLDarnell;4864531; said:
I offered to help. And yes, I checked. I even contacted my local shelter first to also check of there were any legal issues. Please realize the shelter I am referring to is not a hole in the wall series of dark and dirty cages...instead it is a very well funded, well staffed and extremely well maintained facility.

I was only unsure on how to actually ship a mammal internationally. Yeah, it's not like running down to the post office and mailing a love letter...but I asked the OP to look into shipping while I checked into laws and obstacles here.

Personally, I intended to see how serious the OP was about the whole transaction before I adopted the animal for him of course. If he wasn't or isn't able to make shipping or payment arrangements, then of course I wouldn't do the paper work on this end. And to be honest, I doubted and doubt it happens. The cost to pull this off legally and morally is going to be expensive. And, it would be the only way I would be involved.

Please have some faith that some who offered to help aren't "insane".
YOU are the best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store