In memory of my BBXB arowana

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Not sure the cause but could only think of 2 possibilities

1) fed him quite a bit of superworm for the first time as it was the Chinese New Year and I wanted to give him a treat before I go overseas for 4 days

2) Did a water change today and forgot about it, there was minimal water left when I remembered. Basically he was lying on his side and water was only half the height of his body. However, did not face any issues with my other fishes who was in the same predicament

What I noticed when I was back yesterday, he did greet me as usual but somehow looked listless and not his usual self.

He did not want to eat the evening before I left , before that he was fed a total of about 20 live superworm on that day and the day before.

Today, he still managed to swim as per normal after I filled the tank but did not eat

There is a belief that the arowana would sacrifice itself to protect the owner.

Coincidentally, my son this morning poked me in the eye and my eyeball is now red on one side and still uncomfortable

Size: 17 inch. Weight: 1kg

Food for thought

1st pic is him this evening

Rest of the pics speaks for itself

20190210_203235.jpg IMG-20190210-WA0020.jpg IMG-20190210-WA0025.jpg

Reactions: BigShawn and Dloks

Shaneviolet fusion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2018
If u forgot u was doing a water change then filled the hole thing back up with water it was probably the massive change in the water

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
If u forgot u was doing a water change then filled the hole thing back up with water it was probably the massive change in the water
Possible too but I have been doing water change at fin level all the time for past 2yrs+ so I feel it may be possible but unlikely especially considering the other fishes are ok and still eating...

Shaneviolet fusion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2018
I surpose so just no that arowana hate change but if u been doing it for years then I’d say would of been used to it but god no’s I’d say 20 super worms wouldn’t hurt as 17 inch aro munch that no problem might of just been it’s time to go sorry for your loss awesome fish

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
The other thing I could think of is it may have tried to jump to right itself up at low level water and injuried himself...

Whatever the cause, it is my mistake and he paid for it

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
He was absolutely beautiful sorry for your loss

Reactions: islandguy11

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
The other thing I could think of is it may have tried to jump to right itself up at low level water and injuried himself...

Whatever the cause, it is my mistake and he paid for it
I think this is most likely the cause. Beautiful XB hope you pick up another in remembrance of him. Maybe do a embalming and mount him if possible.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks all..

Embalming out of the equation though

If I can't find a nice bbxb I may have to look for a red aro

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Really sorry to hear this Galantspeedz :( Frustrating mystery too regarding the cause. If I had to guess I'd support the jumping/water change theory. But also just wondering: I've seen people advise against feeding live super worms as there's the potential they can actually eat through the fish's gut. I don't know if this is true or not. But maybe feeding the extra worms meant they were slower to digest and thus slower to die and 1 or 2 tried eating their way out? Probably not the cause but just throwing an idea/possibility on the table. In fact I was just about to introduce my new BBXB I've had for about 1.5 months now, but will hold off longer, seems a bit callous atm. Again condolences on your loss, I'm sure you'll find another beauty whatever the color.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
thanks.. regardless of how he pass away... i am quite sure the fault lies with me....

am considering if to get another aro.. if i do, it will likely be another bbxb or red

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store