In Wall Concrete Tank

Syed Ahmed

Feeder Fish
Jan 10, 2018
Hello MFK Team members,

I am addicted to this hobby for almost 10 years now, however never had the guts to go beyond a 55 Gallon tank primarily keeping Oscar and Green Terror.

Last week I had to visit new aquairst near my place and was impressed with 500 Gallon tank hosting frontosa and giant guarami.

I have made a decision to have at least a 400 gallon aquarium at home hosing couple of Pacus, frontosa and Oscar.

Since my 2nd floor apartment is under construction and have a 4 feet width and 14 feet long balcony attached to my living room, i have decided to convert 30 inches of my balcony space as depth and 96" long / 36 " high for my aquarium. I have already discussed this with my builder and asked him to strengthen the floor to hold 600 gallon weight [who knows i may end up with a 600 gall]

Now the actual aquarium; three sides are going to be cinder block / AAC block with water proofing paint. one side, my living room wall will be carved to make space for glass. and glass will be secured with 4 inch wall on both sides; question is how much should be the glass thickness; all the sites are talking only about all glass aquariums. my LFS is talking about 12mm thickness because it is only 36 inch high and water will be above the glass level.

Thank you,
Syed

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
I believe over 30” needs thicker glass. And the surface area being bigger is better than that height. If you did 96x36x30tall it would benefit the fish more and you could get by with .5” (12mm) Glass.

Sounds like a cool idea and hope you go through with it!

Reactions: Syed Ahmed

Syed Ahmed

Feeder Fish
Jan 10, 2018
Thank you, very excited... my tank building would start in the month of March... will keep you posted on the progress

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store