In wall tank?

BuggyNutt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2006
Colorado
So im putting mt 180gal on back of a wall and framing a view window in the wall. The way I have to do it makes it so the tank will slide up to wall and since the previous owner of the house framed it in wrong and its a support wall my window will be about 5 inches small that over all length. Looking to get some ideas of how to finish the window (pics) and also is it better to leave it open at the top for access doors of finish it for viewing window only. Thanks

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
The simplest and neatist finish is to have the wall opening slightly bigger than your tank so it can slide right through the wall so it lines up with your wall surface. This means overhanging the tank off the stand by the wall width but allows you to frame the tank against the glass like a wall picture with no gap. The frame conveniently hides all the mess so very easy to finish off neatly (less time, effort and expense).

The other alternative is to have the tank against the back wall and create a recessed frame. This is much harder to do neatly but allows you to have a much smaller wall opening. Could have two openings at different heights if your tank is big enough.

If you don't have access to the back of the tank, you will need top access. If your tank is very wide (over 1.5m) then best to have access from front and back.

Humidity and heat are usually underestimated in enclosed wall setups. Perhaps build in extractor fan(s) and vents while you are constructing.

Reactions: dr exum

BuggyNutt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2006
Colorado
The simplest and neatist finish is to have the wall opening slightly bigger than your tank so it can slide right through the wall so it lines up with your wall surface. This means overhanging the tank off the stand by the wall width but allows you to frame the tank against the glass like a wall picture with no gap. The frame conveniently hides all the mess so very easy to finish off neatly (less time, effort and expense).

The other alternative is to have the tank against the back wall and create a recessed frame. This is much harder to do neatly but allows you to have a much smaller wall opening. Could have two openings at different heights if your tank is big enough.

If you don't have access to the back of the tank, you will need top access. If your tank is very wide (over 1.5m) then best to have access from front and back.

Humidity and heat are usually underestimated in enclosed wall setups. Perhaps build in extractor fan(s) and vents while you are constructing.
Thanks, I'm only 5" short from being able to slide it into the wall. I will have to do a recessed frame around it. Not that difficult for me since I have been doing this kind of work for 20yrs. Do I slide tank flush to back of the wall or should I put like a foam seal or something between tank and wall. Also going to seL all the walls with epoxy paint that will be getting moisture.

M1A1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2013
MN
You can use weatherstripping foam if you don't want airflow or light leakage between the wall frame and the tank. Epoxy or enamel paint is highly recommended for anywhere near the tank that will see high moisture so sounds like you got this under control!

BuggyNutt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2006
Colorado
You can use weatherstripping foam if you don't want airflow or light leakage between the wall frame and the tank. Epoxy or enamel paint is highly recommended for anywhere near the tank that will see high moisture so sounds like you got this under control!
Thanks, I have been doing home repair and remodels for 20yrs so I have a good idea of what to do. I just haven't done this so any ideas or pointers are great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store