Incisilabeo behri, Bangana behri, Labeo behri, dolphin-head or bump-head or jungle labeo at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Another one we got from Rapps in Jan 2019 at about 2"-3". Has been tolerable with all its tank mates until after this video was shot and I had added 4 more rescue tancho goldfish to the tank, which the little horror waited for the night to attack thoroughly, stripping most of their scales and some skin from their tops by morning... so off it has gone into the jerk tank. Currently at 5".

Look for this fish in the following video:

download.jpg

Google images:

1050_Fishing Adventures Thailand_Jungle Labeo_Bangana behri.jpgdownload (1).jpgdownload (2).jpgdownload (3).jpgdownload (4).jpgimages (1).jpgimages.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
This is your injured black shark minnow. Do I assume you got no Bangana pics to share, of either one you had had?

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
To be fair, I never got a firm ID on them. The lighter one had developed a bigger hump than it has in the pic. The darker one never had a hump. It was the darker one that beat the black shark.

View attachment 1375637

View attachment 1375638
beautiful fish. As you suspect, these are not the same fish. Number 2 is your classic dolphin barb, bangana behri. The darker one I’m fairly confident is actually the much rarer Bangana diplostoma. I’ve actually never seen this fish with my own eyes. I’ve been hoping to come across one as a contaminant in behri shipments for years. No luck so far.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
beautiful fish. As you suspect, these are not the same fish. Number 2 is your classic dolphin barb, bangana behri. The darker one I’m fairly confident is actually the much rarer Bangana diplostoma. I’ve actually never seen this fish with my own eyes. I’ve been hoping to come across one as a contaminant in behri shipments for years. No luck so far.
Don't think so, 1st pic probably an African Labeo sp, the wideness of the caudal peduncle looks to be it. Actually, it is much easier if OP have the shipment detail.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Don't think so, 1st pic probably an African Labeo sp, the wideness of the caudal peduncle looks to be it. Actually, it is much easier if OP have the shipment detail.
you’re probably right. I’m not terribly well versed in the genus so educated guesses are all I’ve got! Truth be told, I’ve never had much luck keeping them. They always seem to do well for a bit, then waste away, despite my treating for IP and such.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store