Incoming!

mbhw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I'm really psyched! I went through a long stretch without a decent sized tank (11 years), which prevented me from owning my favorite fish.

I finally set up a 75 gallon 5 years ago, and have done various Africans and local saltwater fish, and pretty much gave up hope of finding what I wanted, as they are considered invasive and are subsequently rare in the hobby by me.

Here's a teaser, should be an easy guess for you folks:

Hints - fish is currently around 7" long, and is a female. :headbang2:headbang2

mbhw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Raleigh, NC
straitjacketstar - your first guess was a good one. I've been looking locally for over 4 years for a pink or gray tilapia, as the Mozambique is my favorite fish. :headbang2

She's a tad under 8" in total length, and aside from the gray blotch on one side of her face, has great color. Now all I need to do is come across a male at some point and life will be awesome! Currently in a 75 gallon with 10 yellow labs, 6 baby tinfoils, and 5 green & regular tiger barbs.

Here are some full shots. (Still trying various lighting plans, sorry for the variation in photo quality)

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
I love that blotchy pattern and the dark spot on her face ain't half bad either!
She's a sexy one. It actually surprises me that she has so much red in the fins. I wouldn't expect that of a female, gray or pink.
I have a small group of Mozzies myself and I have always wanted some pinks. Very interesting and I'm very jealous!

mbhw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Raleigh, NC
straitjacketstar - not all pinks get as red in the tails, this one has some really nice color. The funny part is I haven't seen a gray Mozambique for sale in over a decade! If I come across some more, I'll drop you a line. Thanks for the compliments.

searcyb - thank you very much! It's comprised of the following:

Substrate - playsand from Home Depot

Rock - 100+ lbs of lace rock

Backdrop - gray rock pattern

Stand/cap - Perfecto, I forget the model line

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store