increasing oxygen

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
hey guys, I got my knew mbunas yesterday and this morning when I fed them they seemed to be gasping for air alot. I have a powerhead(250gph) a tetrafin powerfilter(300gph) and a renafilstar canister filter(300gph). How can I maybe position the powerhead/filters to increase oxygen exchange between the water and air?

King Edward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
feed the return from the canister back to the tank above the water level...that's what I do!

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
set the outputs to cause as much surface aggregation as possible.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
i doubt they need more oxygen

thats rarely ever the problem

crisper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2008
over there boi
You should check water parameters,ammonia and nitrate.Your tank may not be properly cycled.And do a water change as eskimo has suggested.

eskimo

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
belgium , limburg
ow and fon't feed much in the next day or 3
if it is your system thet not long cycled , it wont be overpowerd.
and do a smal water change every day for the 4 day's , smal not tp much like 20-25 % of you tank

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
gasping could be a sign for more than just lack of 02-you need to test your ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and ph level. if they are wnl, then add a bubble line for extra oxygen.

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
Keep in mind that during feeding thier actvity increases which naturally increases thier respiration. However, aiming all your filter outputs at the surface in order to create maximum surface agitation is always a good idea. Maximum oxygenation is not only important to your fish but also the benefical bacteria that keeps ammonia down in your tank, it also uses oxygen.

Also, as has been mentioned, check your water quality as ammonia and other pollutants makes it more difficult for your fish to breathe.

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
actually I just put the outlet of my powerhead toward the surface to cause surface vibration. They seem to being just fine!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store