incredibly aggressive blood parrot fish

rich the fishkeeper

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2020
I have a blood parrot fish in a 40 gallon tank, I added a common pleco into the tank. The parrot fish is constantly attacking the pleco. I've seen people putting plecos with parrots and they get along fine. Can people help me with this problem please? Thanks

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
What does the tank look like?
I would guess that you just have an unusually aggressive parrot.

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Can we got a pic of the tank please. :)

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I have a blood parrot fish in a 40 gallon tank, I added a common pleco into the tank. The parrot fish is constantly attacking the pleco. I've seen people putting plecos with parrots and they get along fine. Can people help me with this problem please? Thanks
Sounds like you've got a solo parrot. I have 4 jumbo parrots, and every one of them is in a separate tank due to fighting. 3 have their own 38 gallon, and one is in the main tank with other fish. Two are hyper aggressive nutters. Parrots tend to get more territorial and aggressive as they age. You could try a 55 with hiding spots for the plec. I'd also add a hide for the parrot, they love hiding. You can use any food safe container for larger parrots. Like cookie jars or canisters. Sometimes a fish needs an actual 'house' to calm down.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
How do they do damage with a kewpie mouth that can barely eat pellets!! I had one once....got pretty big and was aggressive when laying eggs...head butted everyone

Reactions: DwarfCichlidLvr

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
How do they do damage with a kewpie mouth that can barely eat pellets!! I had one once....got pretty big and was aggressive when laying eggs...head butted everyone
Here's the thing...with parrots being hybrids you just never know.

2 of my parrots are female, two male. The females are the worst. One is so wild she tried leaping out of a bucket that was on the floor. She beat up the other female parrot who beat up everyone else.

3 of mine have teeth. the two females can strip scales.

1 male parrot has a small mouth and eats up to 3mm pellets. The other 3 can gulp 4-5mm pellets WHOLE. All the parrots are from 6+"-7+" inches and jumbo.

Ironically my most massive parrot has the smallest mouth.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store