Indian leaf fish (nandus nandus)

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
heya fellas :)

i have recently aquired two indian leaf fish approx 7cm, whom i am pretty sure are the nandus nandus leaf fish. i have rescued them from a half full 3 foot tank.. their 2 tank mates were malawis where they never ate and always hid..

i have put the leaf fish in a 60 gallon planted tank, with wood ,rocks and some floating plants. along with my very shy 16cm pleco, and 9cm chinese algae eater. Immediatly happier they seemed, so far have eaten 6 neon tetras, and a few little fish / tadpoles, and aquatic insects ( pond skippers )

i dont know much about these fish, could anyone help me with regards to their max size?? can they be weaned to eat frozen bloodworms flakes or pellets?? ive tried these foods but they dont seem to interesed. what tank size should they be in?? tank mates?? or any other info would be greatly appreiceted:) thanks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They can reach 20cm, prefer slow moving water at a neutral to slightly acid pH. Nandus are sometimes hard to feed, because they prefer live, moving food. They are a lurk and strike predator, waiting motionless in plant cover until something passes close enough to capture.

Reactions: tlindsey

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
In my limited experience (only kept one of them) they are extremely difficult to get off of live food.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
In my limited experience (only kept one of them) they are extremely difficult to get off of live food.
Love their look but as stated above,they hardly move and mine would not take non living foods.

lunadraco

Feeder Fish
Jul 23, 2017
Connecticut
I've had one for about a year now, he's full grown and has been since I got him at about 5-6". I've had him on a diet of frozen krill and mysis since I got him, he's quite the pig. He was at the fish shop I work at for a long time, and there he was fed mostly frozen food with the occasional live thrown in.

Mine is the only of his species in a 70 gallon tank, but since (assuming you do have a nandus nandus) they do not get very large and have limited movement, I can't imagine they require more than maybe 40 gallons.

IMG_0035.JPG

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've had one for about a year now, he's full grown and has been since I got him at about 5-6". I've had him on a diet of frozen krill and mysis since I got him, he's quite the pig. He was at the fish shop I work at for a long time, and there he was fed mostly frozen food with the occasional live thrown in.

Mine is the only of his species in a 70 gallon tank, but since (assuming you do have a nandus nandus) they do not get very large and have limited movement, I can't imagine they require more than maybe 40 gallons.

View attachment 1264772

Welcome to MFK ☺

Nice looking Nandus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store