Indian swamp eel, 2'+, 1 for 5

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I bought 5 of Indian swamp eels from Raymond Chan last Fall of 2015. They were 15"-20". Two of them struggled greatly to feed perhaps because of my inexperience. They lasted ~6 months and perished.

Two more have been eating ok but one after 8 months and the other 13 months died for an unknown reason. One of these was bothered a bit because its tail had been tattered for a while but I have not figured out the culprit plus it wasn't bad .

This is lone survivor, ~2'-2.5'. Refuses pellets but appears to like cut fish, small whole fish. Eats so-o-o-o slowly, like a tortoise. Pushes them around with its nose for a few minutes, then sucks them in and chews thoroughly... as its parents taught it.

There is this excess slime right on the top of the eel which has been there for many months. I can't figure out why. Same happened to one of my lungfish in the same water but after I fixed my high nitrates, the lung got back to normal but this guys has not.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Appreciate the tip.

They looked very good when I got them, granted I've never seen them before i my life. I think it was a matter of my skills and effort I've put in, both of which leave much to be desired. I hoped they'd settle in and learn the ropes much better than they did...

They can be seen here, IIRC there were three by then, in early Spring 2016, early on and after 2 min on and off:

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You had a skinny eel dude. It could be so much thicker.
That's one of my problems. IDK. How thick should it be at 2' length?

I think you are right though anyway. I started feeding the tank more and it is getting thicker.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My last Indian swamp eel died at 22". Got them from Ray Chan at 14"-18" two years ago. Lost all 5 over the 2 years. One by one. None to an obvious reason. Some didn't feed well. Some did as this one... but still. Could they be short-lived? I doubt it. Something I wasn't doing right. Perhaps the diet of whole marine baitfish (they refused any pellets) is not right for them. The eye was taken out post mortum.

100_7608.JPG 100_7612.JPG 100_7617.JPG 100_7618.JPG 100_7621.JPG

Reactions: adamjavaguy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store