indoor basment pond

Droptopwop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
London, ON
Vik has been in the trenches longer than I have, but I had a pond similar.

Mine was roughly 10' x 4' x 4' if I remember correctly. Made it out of cinder blocks and lined the inside.I had a bigger rtc in there at one point along with some wolves and a silver aro. I had to keep the top covered or the aro would go flying.

Filtration was the biggest pia. I eventually switched to the ultima types over diy barrel koi type. I ran a small dehumidifier and had an exhaust fan ran outside.

I'll be honest I think the rtc needed more room than the 4' width.
Do you have any pics of your pond

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Now to house a arowana and a rtc should I make it tall around 3 4 feet
The rule of thumb is the depth should be at least 1x the fish length at all times. So if I planned to house an RTC for life, the worst case scenario it will grow to 4', so I'd go with a 4' depth.

I wanna add a Asian arowana and a tsnat some point just wanna make sure everyone stays alive and doesn't get eaten I lost a tsn all ready to my rtc and I know how pricey Asian aros get
Both silver and Asian aro will be preyed on by the RTC sooner or later, especially the Asian. Even if the RTC will have failed to swallow them whole, the arowana may die from wounds and stress. Speaking from experience. See my thread on silver arowana in the Arowana Forum.

TSN may or or may work out but could be tried. You said you have already lost one TSN to your RTC. Perhaps need to start with a bigger TSN but not too big that it can eat the RTC.

I was ganna go 10x10 then not sure on hight but I'll do that when I buy a house would a 7x6 work and 4 feet up or even 3
IMHO 10x10x4 is not enough to house an RTC for life (20-40 years), if it reaches 4'. My 4500 gal is 13x13x4.5 and is just barely ok for our biggest 3.5' RTCs. Just my opinion.

Droptopwop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
London, ON
The rule of thumb is the depth should be at least 1x the fish length at all times. So if I planned to house an RTC for life, the worst case scenario it will grow to 4', so I'd go with a 4' depth.

Both silver and Asian aro will be preyed on by the RTC sooner or later, especially the Asian. Even if the RTC will have failed to swallow them whole, the arowana may die from wounds and stress. Speaking from experience. See my thread on silver arowana in the Arowana Forum.

TSN may or or may work out but could be tried. You said you have already lost one TSN to your RTC. Perhaps need to start with a bigger TSN but not too big that it can eat the RTC.

IMHO 10x10x4 is not enough to house an RTC for life (20-40 years), if it reaches 4'. My 4500 gal is 13x13x4.5 and is just barely ok for our biggest 3.5' RTCs. Just my opinion.
thank you very much for your info you are passing to me I will not house my aros with brabus as I bet he will eat the aro as ive lost some fish to him including that tsn and as for a pond for the first ten years would you think a 10x10x4 would do and a 220 gallon tank for the aro be fine or just make a pond just for aros my wife told me to get a hobby so im going FULL SEND

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I only hope to help. Our RTCs are about 5 years old, so, no, I don't think it would suffice for ten years, if you happen to get a large growing female. The 220 gal could house a silver arowana for a year, max two. Once it reaches or exceeds 2', IMHO it'd be cruel to keep it in 220. They swim nonstop and need space for that. I'd say 1000 gal at a minimum. More is better. Gotta have a firm plan for upgrades or for rehoming, I'd say... and haha, gotta love your wife!

Droptopwop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
London, ON
I'm willing to do what needs be for are pets as my kids love to feed and watch them and will only grow I feel when they see things on a greater scale they mite even get more I hope in the future the k you so much

RDFISHGUY

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
Red Deer, AB.
Sorry for the long wait to reply. The filter is just a DIY. Large tub filled halfway with lava rock and K1. Smaller tub inside with foam and floss.

RDFISHGUY

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
Red Deer, AB.
Truthfully I think this is too small for my Frt but I will keep a close eye on water quality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store