Indoor pool pond stock ideas please!

SomethingPhishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
Already growing out the first member of the pool pond! It is a Redtail Cat/Tiger Shovelnose Hybrid. We will also be adding a Redtail Cat, Tiger Shovelnose Cat, and High Fin Banded Shark. Possibly a marbled gar I'm on the ledge about that and or a silver arowana. The first pond before we move will be a 8' long, 5' wide, 2' tall. Once we move they will be transferred to a 12-15' round pool possibly buried lower in the ground. And will also keep the other pool inside for the fish while our Minnesota winter's will kill basically everything I'm getting. What do you think? Also should I put in some sand? I also want to put some driftwood and maybe (if I put an extra liner inside) some rock.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Are you going to scoop up the free 20” tiger shovelnose for your pond? It was the first thing I thought of when I saw you mention the cats and Minnesota.

Anyway... for ease of cleaning I’d skip the sand. Outdoor ponds are better off being bare bottom. But that’s up to you. No need for a whole extra liner if you want rocks, just cut a piece big enough to set the rock on. You could just use tarp or heavy plastic in the color of your choosing. And if you choose to keep an arowana be sure to cover the pond with netting so it can jump out.

Reactions: SomethingPhishy

SomethingPhishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
Are you going to scoop up the free 20” tiger shovelnose for your pond? It was the first thing I thought of when I saw you mention the cats and Minnesota.

Anyway... for ease of cleaning I’d skip the sand. Outdoor ponds are better off being bare bottom. But that’s up to you. No need for a whole extra liner if you want rocks, just cut a piece big enough to set the rock on. You could just use tarp or heavy plastic in the color of your choosing. And if you choose to keep an arowana be sure to cover the pond with netting so it can jump out.
There's a free one? Where is that at? I would definitely save that big guy!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
There's a free one? Where is that at? I would definitely save that big guy!
I saw it on a Facebook page
5BFB1A38-6E92-4834-A6E9-604CB1EE19C1.jpeg
The lady didn’t say on her post where she is located. The ad was posted Saturday but I don’t see where anyone said they wanted it, so I’d guess it’s still available.
I’d add it to my pond, but at that size I’m afraid it would eat my koi and goldies. And I’m done wintering fish inside.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The marbled gar should probably be skipped as it may get eaten, most of the other fish you mentioned could easily be rescued

SomethingPhishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
The marbled gar should probably be skipped as it may get eaten, most of the other fish you mentioned could easily be rescued
If I wanted a gar I'm guessing it would have to be an alligator? Or would you worry then also? What about a sterlet sturgeon? Or arowana?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store