Info on channa andrao and tank set up

Tilly05

Feeder Fish
Oct 3, 2019
Hey guys.
I bought a channa bleheri at the weekend only to be told by a Facebook channa group it's actually an andrao.. It's in a 240 litre (UK) tank it's eating bloodworm and chopped prawn all seams well.
Questions I do have are :
Filtration and circulation? I have an all pond solutions 1000ef (external filter rated at 1000l per hour)
And a juwel 450 pump with a fine pad on the inlet that just sits at the surface
Is this too much flow in the tank? I have rocks and bog wood along with quite a few plastic plants for cover loads of hiding holes.
What conditions suit best fast flowing or a slower movement?
As far as water changes go, do I stick with the regular weekly changes or space it out more? Conflicting stuff online..
Little long winded but there's been nothing iv seen anywhere that gives me an answer. Thanks in advance for any info shared

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Madou Madou

TomatoandEgg

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2017
i've always held the view snakeheads are built for stagnant swampy backwater rivers, so a sponge filter is probably 5 star accommodation for them

Tilly05

Feeder Fish
Oct 3, 2019
Yea, what I was hoping to avoid is over circulation or rather too much of a flow and stress him/her too much.. There's plenty of caves and cover but also a lot of movement

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
Plenty of hiding spots, lots of plants and surface cover, Amazon frogbit is good for surface cover.

They dot like a lot of flow so if you can adjust that to the lower setting that would be better.

I have my Single Channa Pulchra in the same conditions, water changes are almost none existent I take out less than 10%every other week doing a quick substrate vacuum.

there A plenty of Facebook groups that are very useful and full of enthusiasts

a couple to mention would be Snakeheadfishkeepers and Channa Headquarters

hope this helps

Tilly05

Feeder Fish
Oct 3, 2019
Cheers pal. I'm on one of the mentioned pages already, requested to join the other now too.
Tank temp at moment is 21°c but he seams to stay around the heater. All the hiding holes and plant cover but it stays in the open near the heater at end of tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store