Information on Ivanacara Adoketa

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
All i know is every pic ive seen of an adult adoketa is gorgeous, and that they require very low ph.

mrrobxc mrrobxc can we see some pix?
Quick feeding video. Male is a teenager around 2.5” while the two juvies are about an inch. Just fed them FD Mysis and flake. Easy fish. Get long term captive or f1. Totally worth it unless you like playing with water chemistry.

7B7D537C-5E39-4B2C-B2F3-EF52B82495CB.jpeg

Reactions: Backfromthedead

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I kept them successfully in higher pH/hardness but they got large water changes to keep the water really clean. They grew well and seemed healthy but you likely won't see spawning unless you give them softer water.

They can be really hard on each other. When I kept them, I gave them a large tank footprint and plenty of caves, flowerpots, and things like fake plants and driftwood. I've noticed in the two groups that I kept that each individual fish will stake out their own plant or cave, and sit idly in that spot unless they're out eating or fighting. If they didn't have territories to claim as their own they'd probably be a lot harder on each other.

I've never had them become extremely intolerant but that could also be because I wasn't spawning them.

It should also be noted that not every variant/catch location gets the nice red color that you see in example photos online. Mine were always mostly just black and white with nice iridescence on them. I'd imagine the red color may also fade on wild imports, much like the blue fades on heckel discus... it's probably a combination of water parameters and diet that keep them that color.

IMG_0906_zpsgddginsg.jpgIMG_0909_zps7vpp3ksd.jpgIMG_0917_zpsxyb3ckc1.jpg

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I kept them successfully in higher pH/hardness but they got large water changes to keep the water really clean. They grew well and seemed healthy but you likely won't see spawning unless you give them softer water.

They can be really hard on each other. When I kept them, I gave them a large tank footprint and plenty of caves, flowerpots, and things like fake plants and driftwood. I've noticed in the two groups that I kept that each individual fish will stake out their own plant or cave, and sit idly in that spot unless they're out eating or fighting. If they didn't have territories to claim as their own they'd probably be a lot harder on each other.

I've never had them become extremely intolerant but that could also be because I wasn't spawning them.

It should also be noted that not every variant/catch location gets the nice red color that you see in example photos online. Mine were always mostly just black and white with nice iridescence on them. I'd imagine the red color may also fade on wild imports, much like the blue fades on heckel discus... it's probably a combination of water parameters and diet that keep them that color.

View attachment 1385389View attachment 1385390View attachment 1385391
Whoa those are some nice colors on that male

TheFishDodo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Allright its decided. Monday I am going to order 4 fry from the wetspot and then try and get a pir out of them.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Allright its decided. Monday I am going to order 4 fry from the wetspot and then try and get a pir out of them.
Awesome! You won’t regret it

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
One other question. Do you keep any plecos or corydoras with them trying to figure out if I should order any.
Yes. I have a pair of Bushynose a Farlowella and 8 Corydoras cw-049

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Looks like I am adding 7 C. Similis to the order then exhanging the two ivanacara who dont pair for a L183. What size tank do you have?
That sounds like a nice combo. My tank is a 150. 60x24x24

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store