Injured Koi Help!!

Snackx

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2013
New Jerzy
Woke up this morning to find a koi on its side in my pond..looks like a stork or something picked it off..it's got 2 wounds on it's left side..I transferred it to a 10gallon for treatment..salt,melafix with heat and
O2..I'm trying my best to keep it off its side by putting it in a net but it keeps getting out trying to swim around as if it's ok..any idea how I can keep it from laying sideways??..I do want to save this fish...

Snackx

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2013
New Jerzy
Wounds are deep..you can see some damaged vessels..the one on the top is a gash..smh..looks like he's adjusting to the quarintine tank..

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Swab some iodine on those wounds.

Imobilize it straight with two sheets of eggcrate on each side, so it needs to be in the upright position.

Position a slow power head current towards her jose.

See how she is tomorrow.

I have done all the above.

Lead20

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2013
NY
Damn sorry to hear that I had a similar problem in an old pond of ours that we built a ledge in for plants. The nearby heron thought that was his spot and would go fishing every morning at 6am for my koi. Needless to say we broke that ledge down. No losses just 2 koi with bad gashes in their backs. But they healed up and we still have them today. GL with your koi I hope it pulls through.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Snackx

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2013
New Jerzy
@ Miguel...You think I should place an air stone below her to give her as much O2??..with the egg crate..wouldn't that float?? Esp with a styrofoam one?? Can you send me a pic of how you did it..appreciate all your responses..I'll try to post pics in a bit....

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I have no more pix of that.

last time i did it was with a red asian aro.

I created a kind of egg crate stable ( imagine a stabled horse between two wooden panels ) and i fixed the egg crtae so it maintained itself straight.

This fish was sandwiched between the egg crate plates and had no option to turn or to fall on its side. This coupled with a flow of c urrente towards its face did the trick.

It is something for 24 hours max...it either makes it or not....

Snackx

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2013
New Jerzy
Hi guys just a quick update..the fish believe it or not is still alive wounds are somewhat healing on it's own hope no flesh eating bact is floating around....but only time will tell when the koi will swim again...she's still on its side breathing and swimming from time to time...hasn't eaten since..any idea how I can help her eat?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store