Insectivore Diet for Chalceus

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I don't think you can get better than live fresh crickets.

Why don't you freeze them ?

Reactions: Midwater

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
You might look for insect based chicken feed, I believe another thread on here someone was using that, it was dried insect medly or something like that, not pellets but whole crickets, mealworms etc
Yes, that is a good idea, though some irony, insect based chicken feed instead of chicken based insectivore diet.

I don't think you can get better than live fresh crickets.

Why don't you freeze them ?
Live fresh cricket are the best. The practicality is something different. I did once freeze a few.

When I order a kilo of crickets, a large used cardboard box arrives in my car park filled with old style egg cardboard crates, a bit of vegetation for moisture, and a billion crickets. The crickets manage to find their way out of the box without help. I can take a few egg crates to the fish tank and bank the crickets out into the tank and close the lid. Many crickets escape on the journey. Many of the crickets that were in the tank, manage to squeeze their way out from under the lid.

The chalceus do go mad and eat a lot.

After two days, the car park and the house are full of crickets and the box is empty.

I could not freeze the whole box. It would not fit in my freezer. I did try taking one egg crate, putting it in a plastic bag, sealing the bag and placing it in the freezer. A lot of work for about fifteen crickets.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Ohhh.. you don't have a dedicated fish fridge - freezer? Most fish keepers I know have one for their medication and food storage in their fish room. Even a dead fridge makes a great rodent proof insulated container.

You could buy a deep bucket - bin to open the boxes in. And a plastic bag for transporting them between. I breed my own crickets. I love the sound they make and it's good fung shui to have live crickets around the place.

Once they are frozen (dead) they take up hardly any space and would last many months possibly years if you only need 15 at a time. If you prefer to feed live without any escaping, put into fridge which slows them right down long enough for fish to eat.

Reactions: Midwater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store