Insects and oscars!

Shane templar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2019
Bristol uk
Hi guys just a quick question on are there any bugs/insects that you shouldn’t feed oscars? Gonna get mine some calci worms and silk worms and just wondered if there are any that could injure my oscars! I’m guessing wasps and anything with a sting are out of the question! They’re only gonna be for treats and not a staple diet!
thanks

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
Well if you do go out, way out to the woods,or the country as far away from pesticides and fertilizers used in gardens and whatnot as possible as these things pass into the insects and then can harm the fish, but generally small beetles, earth worms and other non venomous bugs are safe IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: jjohnwm

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Most fish won't eat wasps, I believe its the color that warns them way.
I feed my cichlids anything that I can get, that they eat, that I find on the patio in the morning..
View attachment 1410828
the moth above had a wing span of about 5 ", it was gone in minutes.
View attachment 1410831
Even the occasional gecko corpse
View attachment 1410832
Jeez is that a locust on the glass in the middle pic? If not that's a huge grasshopper. Personally I never had problems with feeding Oscars wasps as long as I removed the stinger, idky but it almost seemed like they knew if it was defenseless or not. The only thing I could think of was maybe they can taste/smell the venom in the water. I also just grab whatever bugs I find by the front porch in summer by the porch light and my fish always love the beetles and moths they get. Only time I won't do this is when they recently sprayed for mosquitos in town.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I live in a rural area, no shortage of bugs. I catch grasshoppers, worms & moths to feed my African Cichlids. Even the Mbuna go after the bugs.
I avoid beetles. I've read that beetles can clog up a fish's digestive system. Of course an XL oscar could probably eat a golf ball without any problems, lol.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Pests are very tenacious creatures, they can feed on anything, so it is important to use effective methods of combating them. I had mice in my attic for a long time. I have tried various devices that, in theory, should scare them away, but in practice, these devices are useless for mice. I also tried traps, but they were too expensive. To get rid of mice for good, I contacted a pest control company. I found a reliable company working in this field for a long time.
Why are bots so dumb?
Lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store