Inspirational biotopes and natural looking aquariums

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Can't find any pics of when the lily was big but I have a video of the tank somewhere. I will post it here when I get home from work.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Can't find any pics of when the lily was big but I have a video of the tank somewhere. I will post it here when I get home from work.
Thanks. I have 2 boyu tubes in a DIY reflector as well as Flourish so my plants are doing okay.

The lilies are nice but I'm worried about it spreading over the whole tank, crinums seem to fill up tanks well too

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thanks. I have 2 boyu tubes in a DIY reflector as well as Flourish so my plants are doing okay.

The lilies are nice but I'm worried about it spreading over the whole tank, crinums seem to fill up tanks well too
Hi Hendre,
As promised here is an old video of when I was growing lotus Lilly.The tank was Home to Meeki mainly, and lots of melanura fry growing out.
If the lotus gets out of hand it's easy to cut back a few stems .
I had to do this weekly in the end.Great plant to have and the fish like the cover the big leaves provide.
I bet your knives would enjoy a plant like this to hang under.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thanks! It looks amazing. The knives do indeed love hiding amongst the swords so I think this will be good. I may try putting the lily plants in a tub and then covering that with rockwork and such to hide it and so that it doesn't take over the entire tank

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thanks! It looks amazing. The knives do indeed love hiding amongst the swords so I think this will be good. I may try putting the lily plants in a tub and then covering that with rockwork and such to hide it and so that it doesn't take over the entire tank
Don't forget the rabbit crap.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Don't forget the rabbit crap.
Lol. I have some flourite I can use, it's working pretty well so far, I actually have it in a mesh cage to keep it seperate for when I had gravel but now my tank is Bare bottom and still thinking about that colour sand to get. Thinking black atm

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think the brown and beige colour sand looks the most natural. Maybe black sand is part of some biotopes but I never see it.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I think the brown and beige colour sand looks the most natural. Maybe black sand is part of some biotopes but I never see it.
I only really see yellow or white or black. I would prefer darker since the knives wash out and polypterus get better patterning over dark substrate. Black often looks quite nice.

I'm aiming for a theme, not a biotope to say. All African but not region specific

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
Nice work guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store