Inspirational biotopes and natural looking aquariums

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
So do I Hendre. You really get a feeling of scale with this set up that can be lost with larger species.
I'm being hypocritical since I'm getting a bichir in a smaller tank, but affording lots of small fish is close to impossible right now

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
The beauty of a tank like that is, you can buy a few small fish every time you pop to the aquatic store.
I hate coming out of fish shops empty handed,knowing I'm fully stocked.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The beauty of a tank like that is, you can buy a few small fish every time you pop to the aquatic store.
I hate coming out of fish shops empty handed,knowing I'm fully stocked.
That's true. I like meticulously planning for months before I buy a fish. I have only bought one fish on impulse and I knew it was a fairly safe decision

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Here's a nice one featuring tapajos red heads.

This is a beautiful tank. Just inspired me to rescale the 180. I think I'll try for a tapajos biotope as well.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Here's the rescape. Don't know if sword plants are found in the tapajos but hey, I like them. I'm going to add some tannins later. Too busy to do it now. Just spent an hour rescaping this. I have a trio of Crenicichla Tapajos 1's in there and a pair of red head tapajos Geo's. I'm going to add some Caquetaia Spectabilis and a few more Red ahead Tapajos Geo's. Pikes are hiding but they are a bright red color.

IMG_0742.JPG

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Here's the rescape. Don't know if sword plants are found in the tapajos but hey, I like them. I'm going to add some tannins later. Too busy to do it now. Just spent an hour rescaping this. I have a trio of Crenicichla Tapajos 1's in there and a pair of red head tapajos Geo's. I'm going to add some Caquetaia Spectabilis and a few more Red ahead Tapajos Geo's. Pikes are hiding but they are a bright red color.

View attachment 1230387
Looks great. I think I am going to draw the line at biotope correct plants. I want to stay low tech and stick with stuff that is easy to keep looking good. Do you purchase those wood pieces, or collect them?

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I purchase mostly. I've collected a few pieces but it's a pain cleaning them and I really like manzanita and Malaysian wood.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk

View attachment 1230387
Very nice indeed.

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store