Installing a 3D background in a non-permanent way

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
How are you all doing MFKs?
I just want your ideas on how can I attach a 3D foam background in a way that I could salvage it later. It's a regular flat sheet on the back side, no contures or weird curves. I was thinking to use a strip of velcro on the edges but I'm not sure how'd that hold underwater. Also the tank is currently running and stocked and I'd rather not have to empty it for the job.
The tank in question is in ok condition but it has a bunch of scratches. The background would cost like 80% of what I paid for it. And I don't think I'll keep it forever if I installed it. But for the time being I want something good to look at. Any input is much appreciated!

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I would just use clips on the top and rocks on the bottom to holdit in place. if the background is a snug fit it might even stay in place itself
The problem is that it's not one single continuous board. It's sold in 60*45cm individual boards. So I'd need 5 of them and line them vertically to cover the whole area (my tank is ~230*60cm).
Also the other challenge is that it is 1" styrofoam which is highly buoyant, I forgot to add that.
Thanks for the response though

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Ive never had one so dont know for sure but have seen threads where a lot of crap gets behind them and messes up the water if they arent sealed in place with silicon.
As for installing it without draining the tank, well ive got no idea. Might be a good chance to drain it and do a full rescape while you are installing the new background. If you silicon it in and want to change it its not that hard to cut the silicon to remove it.

Reactions: FESHMAN

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Ive never had one so dont know for sure but have seen threads where a lot of crap gets behind them and messes up the water if they arent sealed in place with silicon.
As for installing it without draining the tank, well ive got no idea. Might be a good chance to drain it and do a full rescape while you are installing the new background. If you silicon it in and want to change it its not that hard to cut the silicon to remove it.
The reason for the velcro idea is that the bg is completely flat on one side (the one that goes on the glass). So in my head there's not much space between the glass and the background itself for crap to settle in. The main reason I'm avoiding draining the tank is I'm not sure how the fish would do in a barrel or so until the silicone cures (I've got 3 Viejas a few Uaru and a bunch of silver dollars, and a 12" Adonis) It's a 240ish US Gal tank. The tank itself is a one piece scape of grape vine, not sure how can I rescape that. Anyways thanks for the response and I'll try to post a pic of the tank and the BG to give you guys an idea

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Here's the tank in question

Here's a side view of the BG (it's a board of styrofoam)

Reactions: FIU Panther
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store