Interested in a reptile but know nothing about them

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
The other day I was hanging out with my coworker/friend and he got a small Mexican redknee tarantula and while we were out I also got interested in reptiles, don’t know why but I’m wanting a chameleon or a small snakes but would prefer any small docile lizard that’s easy to take care of and likes to be handled. I’m thinking of getting a repti breeze chameleon kit but see a lot of bad reviews. Also I’m getting an enclosure that’s dimensions are 16”x16”x30” (LWD) any suggestions

Reactions: Deadeye

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Don’t get a chameleon. They’re extremely hard to take care of. I’d recommend something hardy. Crested geckos would work for That enclosure. Chameleons might need a larger enclosure then the typical screen enclosure u mentioned. I have it as well. You could also do some kind of abboreal snake. But I’m a little confused how is your mom allowing this? I literally Thought she hated you having fish. Much less a tarantula or reptile on top of more fish tanks.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Don’t get a chameleon. They’re extremely hard to take care of. I’d recommend something hardy. Crested geckos would work for That enclosure. Chameleons might need a larger enclosure then the typical screen enclosure u mentioned. I have it as well. You could also do some kind of abboreal snake. But I’m a little confused how is your mom allowing this? I literally Thought she hated you having fish. Much less a tarantula or reptile on top of more fish tanks.
She loves the fish, she just doesn’t like having a lot of fish tanks and I asked her that if I can prove to keep my room clean then if I could get a reptile and she said yes. Today I’m cleaning my room and looking up tanks. Also I found this which my pet smart has for sale I think. 6656DEC1-9963-41DD-A2A2-C636E6F1ADE2.png

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
But it doesn’t matter the cage ATM. Once you found your reptile you can base the tank you want off of that. Because u settling for a cage might not be the best for the reptile you get. What are you interested in? So I can give you suggestions

Reactions: deeda and Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The two best options I can give you are crested gecko and giant day gecko. Both are very beautiful and very similar in requirements. Giant day is very skittish though so definitely bad for handling, and cresties don’t regrow tails so you have to be careful. Giant day needs heat and uvb bulbs, cresties don’t need any special lighting. Both don’t need crickets to survive and will do fine off of a paste (repashys or Pangea is best), and do well at 50-70% humidity. Giant day lives about 8-15 years, cresties are unknown but estimated at 20+ or so if properly taken care of.
Gargoyle gecko is similar to crestie but much more expensive.
Toothless the crested gecko
280AB411-3B3C-4ECD-BBD2-F1A1FDBDC9C9.png
Oz the giant day (geico gecko):
06DF0E27-DB12-4A52-8E18-5C9FD8681456.jpeg

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
are you set on the 16x16x30 cage? If you want somthing hardy, handleable and interactive then I recommend a blue tongue skink. They eat pretty much everything are great for beginners and do good handling they are the big enough that you dont really have to worry about losing them or injurying them when they are out of their cage. I have a indonesian blue tongue named irwin and he is great! The only thing that might be a downside for you is their size they get 24"-30" but they dont move to much so a 4x2x2 is considered the minimum. Here's my buddy Irwin!
Screenshot 2021-09-19 4.49.43 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-09-19 4.49.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-09-19 4.48.43 PM.png

Reactions: Rtc/tsn and Deadeye

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
The two best options I can give you are crested gecko and giant day gecko. Both are very beautiful and very similar in requirements. Giant day is very skittish though so definitely bad for handling, and cresties don’t regrow tails so you have to be careful. Giant day needs heat and uvb bulbs, cresties don’t need any special lighting. Both don’t need crickets to survive and will do fine off of a paste (repashys or Pangea is best), and do well at 50-70% humidity. Giant day lives about 8-15 years, cresties are unknown but estimated at 20+ or so if properly taken care of.
Gargoyle gecko is similar to crestie but much more expensive.
Toothless the crested gecko
View attachment 1473392
Oz the giant day (geico gecko):
View attachment 1473393
Would the 18x18x24 be okay for a crested gecko for life? How do I reach the rig hey humidity levels

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
are you set on the 16x16x30 cage? If you want somthing hardy, handleable and interactive then I recommend a blue tongue skink. They eat pretty much everything are great for beginners and do good handling they are the big enough that you dont really have to worry about losing them or injurying them when they are out of their cage. I have a indonesian blue tongue named irwin and he is great! The only thing that might be a downside for you is their size they get 24"-30" but they dont move to much so a 4x2x2 is considered the minimum. Here's my buddy Irwin!
View attachment 1473396
View attachment 1473397
View attachment 1473398
Always great to see Irwin! Blue tongues are cool! A bit big for me now though…one day I’ll have a big lizard. Always liked prehensile tail skinks, they are completely herbivorous.

As for an 18x18x24, the best reptiles (or amphibians) are most rhacodactylis geckos (includes cresties and gargs), giant days, anoles, and tree frogs. They don’t play nice together, single specimen except for frogs and anoles (but they are nasty if you get a male).

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Would the 18x18x24 be okay for a crested gecko for life? How do I reach the rig hey humidity levels
Mine is in a 16x16x24, but 18 is better and typically recommended. What you need is a lot of moss and a coconut fiber substrate to soak up humidity. I mist mine a lot every night with a water sprayer and it keeps it properly humid.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Mine is in a 16x16x24, but 18 is better and typically recommended. What you need is a lot of moss and a coconut fiber substrate to soak up humidity. I mist mine a lot every night with a water sprayer and it keeps it properly humid.
The 75g tank In my room already helps with a lot of the humidity in my room because there’s two open spots on the lid that I didn’t cover. How deep should the substrate be? How deep of a water dish should I get? What type of lighting and what type of decor

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store