Introduced an Arowana, are these fish safe together?

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Mine is voracious at 15", and after eating his own food will flip over and pick up anything bite-sized he can find on the bottom. That would mean cories are history.

Juiceh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2015
Chesire, England
Yeah ive noticed after he eats he goes searching as he is becoming more comfortable every day. The corys have been moved, love the name by the way! I almost tried smuggling 40 bluegill eggs to england in bottles from the US but my family persuaded not too lol!

Reactions: luvinbluegills

THQ

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
I presume if you are asking for advice on this forum you want our honest opinions you can make your stocking decisions on, instead of mindless platitudes. Furthermore, if you've dona a year of research I won't pull any punches nor sugar coat things, as you should already know that:

- silver arowanas need something like an 8x3x2-3 at least. they may need this in a year, so I would start planning now. acrylic is a good choice, unless you have about 10 strong reliable friends and maybe a small forklift which can fit through your doorway with a half ton glass tank.
- arowanas will eat tiny fish like corys
- clown loaches should not be kept singly as they are schooling fish and really thrive with minimum 5
- same with corys, of which you have 2
- assuming you want to keep rather than rehome them all, 17 large catfish, 11 of which are plecos, are going to need several large tanks when they are fully grown
Summary is that you are far overstocked for your 340 L tank. Have you tried plugging in what you currently have in the tank into aqadvisor to get an idea of how overstocked you are? Unless you have the money, the space, the time and motivation to take care of all your stocking, in another year or two the amount of maintenance for all these fish and the tanks they are going into is going to take a fair chunk out of your life and if you are full time employed, will dominate any spare time you have.

I don't want to say you are an impulse buyer, because you said you did a year of research. However, the fact that after all this you still ask about adding a florida gar and a school of tinfoil barbs seems to suggest you intend on buying fish without fully appreciating the consequences of their maintenance and care requirements when they are fully grown. I would suggest next time that you ask for advice before buying a large fish like an arowana.

You require either a large pond or an entire fish room with 1000G+ (that's almost 4000L) combined tank volume minimum to house all your fish fully grown.

I apologise if I sound harsh, but this is the reality that you will have to deal with in a year or two, so you have to start planning now or be prepared to rehome. You may already be cognizant of all that I have said, but this did not come through in your initial post.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Hikari food sticks to start with, leave the crickets for a few days, until it starts eating the sticks, progress to hikari jumbo carnisticks as it grows

Juiceh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2015
Chesire, England
Id prefer to you be honest than tell me something it isn't. I understood what I was taking on when I bought the Arowana, I did not think for a minute 340L was going to house what I currently have. The pleco's are not commons, only 1 is a common, the rest are very slow growing compared and they can easily be moved once they hit max size, I used to work for a playground company that dealt with acrylic and have a huge cutter in the wharehouse, getting another tank built within a year is not going to be a problem, I'm still considering a heated pool. You say my tank is overstocked but has SO many pvc,clay shell ornaments and everything, everybody has its own home and is more than comfy, for now, I know I sound a little stubborn but trust me, everybodys happy, I already own a fish room with 6 tanks inside it, I will be building something to better house them. Can you please tell me how I need 4000+ for the fish I keep? I didn't intend on getting the gar, it was an idea. How is 2000L not enough for 3 tinfoil barbs an Arow and some plecs? Also, with the clown, I had 4 clowns originally, the other 3 were smaller than the one I currently have and I watched him kill 2, I had to move 1 and it went to a friends, believe it or not, I watched this dude completely tear the others to shreds, he is fine on his own Id rather not take the risk again. He fought that aggressively with another he popped the swim bladder on it within 30minutes of it being in the tank. (Do not try and tell me it was my water quality, I watched it happen) By the way, I have the time the space and money to fully house all of my fish. The 3 tinfoil barbs came out of a 60L tank, I am glad I rescued them when I did. I originally wanted to build a huge acrylic show tank for them. But now you have said 4000L I am worrying. If you don't mind me asking how do people keep things like a RTC and Arow in a 2000L fully set up? I am not doubting you I just seriously didn't think it would exceed 2000L.

Last edited:

Juiceh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2015
Chesire, England
Jwh I have had him about 6 days now, he ate crickets for the first 3/4 now I am trying him on hikari as I already had them for my barbs, he is just starting to look at it as food now after a few days of watching the others, advice could not have been better on feeding, thank you

Juiceh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2015
Chesire, England
I understand he is going to need an 8 by 3. But a 4000L tank? How big in dimensions is that? Seems a heck of a lot!

sayersweb

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
What type of arowana?

I have a black arowana, around 18". It was around 5" when I got it. Have never fed it live food... don't want to risk introducing parasites or other problems to an established aquarium. Also, I don't want to teach my arow to be a predator. It has many small tank-mates... including 16 rose-lines that it could snatch at any time, they constantly swim right by its mouth, no interest at all by the arow.

Maybe try a little frozen food? Small amounts. My arow loves the Hikari carnivore sticks, as well as freeze dried krill and Hikari cichlid gold floating pellets.

THQ

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Ok, you probably should have said that you already have the setup, and a fish room and planning heated pool. You sound like you know what you are doing. Just in your initial post it sounded like yet another one of those posts from inexperienced fishkeepers wanting to buy a lot of monster fish for their tiny tank. So when you say you have 11 plecs I assumed they were common ones which get to 18", as you didn't specify what kind they were. I arrived at around 1000G or 4000L based on that assumption, plus the arowana, the other catfish, etc and the plans you had for the gar and tinfoil barbs. By overstocked I mean that you will have a hard time keeping nitrates down. I am interested to know what water parameters and water change schedule you keep in that 340L now that you have all those fish in it. From your initial post it sounds like all the fish you mentioned are in the one tank?

Abby Ru

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2013
Minnesota
Yeah silvers get pretty big! I couldn't keep anything with mine once he got past a foot long (12 inches). He even started to give my Oscar some aggression. Here is what a quick Google search brings up on silver arowanas http://arowana-fish.org/species-silver/

I would also watch the surface of the tank and make sure you have a cover :mad:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store