Introducing myself

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
It seems our posts crossed paths bro ;) . We're good and appreciate your further explanation. As per above I guess I was being a bit emotional, and felt kinda hurt or insulted, but that was in hindsight being overly sensitive. That said, honestly I could never really imagine going to mods/admin to complain about anyone on this site, let alone someone I highly respected. And at the end of the day, like you say it's really not a big deal, again your explanation brings better understanding to the matter, thanks again bro.

So ending this discussion I'd like to take it back to one of RTF's points regarding adding a UV sterilizer to her tank: much agreed with TBTB that esp. if you have valuable fish it's certainly something to consider, as long as you get the right size for your tank (and determine/achieve the right flow rate). They're not a 100% protection of course, but most would agree they do reduce the chances of bad stuff affecting your fish, and then of course there's the algae control side of things.

Last edited:

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india

Red Tail Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2019
Well above is a pic of my RTC, still tiny but still going strong, I now have a new "Eric" and he seems bolder than the last one, The RTC now called "Otto" will NOT eat pellets, and I cannot bring myself to not offer something else which at the moment is prawn plus 2 mandatory pellets which are still where I placed them in the morning ATM Colony is nitrifying bacteria in a bottle.
here is a video explaining it all, I was very sceptical when I first used it but it really is brilliant. Was watching a video on Youtube called 7 small fish which grow really big, and interestingly he didn't mention my two? :hypnotize he mentions Silver Dollars which I have kept in the past and they didn't grow very big at all also mentions a 'Gar'' which I had never heard of anybody got one? anyway here is the video.
also a couple of pics of my weather loaches which are getting VERY long .I already have the API test kits and I tested the water before the new Aro arrived it tested at Ammonia 0 Nitrite0 nitrate 20 I thought the nitrate would have been lower as I had just done a water change, tha"s the down side of having no substrate and no ornaments there is nothing for the bacteria to coat just the glass. might put a piece of wood with a plant in the aro tank, could the RTC have the same?, well I think thats all for now I am still keeping a close eye on the infamous cat. I have 2 cats but one is a lot more mischeivous then the other, she was sitting in the dishwasher yesterday.:headshake

Weather loaches: 13651291365132

Red Tail Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2019
I don't know why but each time I put a pic. it shows it twice, also didn't show the link regarding ATM Colony so am posting it again and hopefully
it won'''t come out twice.
does anyone own a Gar? Regarding the Arrowana being strictly a surface feeder, well mine isn't several times I have caught him coming to the bottom and picking up some prawn. also came up with an idea for decorating the tanks and giving somewhere other than bare glass for bacteria to coat. I'm going to silicone A long strip of black filter foam on the back of the tanks (inside obviously) foam will be 4cm thick and 4" wide along the strip I shall put some small slits and inside the slits I am going to put some aquatic plants, the foam will hold a considerable amount of nitrifying bacteria and the plants which will root into the foam will take care of some of
the niitrate, just hope the fish don't eat the plants, is that a good idea? :idea: also hoping that the foam doesn't take too long to arrive I had to order it from China... Well I haven't got anything else to report, I would answer your posts but there aren't any :feedback: feeling like I'm talking to myself here.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I don't know why but each time I put a pic. it shows it twice, also didn't show the link regarding ATM Colony so am posting it again and hopefully
it won'''t come out twice.
does anyone own a Gar? Regarding the Arrowana being strictly a surface feeder, well mine isn't several times I have caught him coming to the bottom and picking up some prawn. also came up with an idea for decorating the tanks and giving somewhere other than bare glass for bacteria to coat. I'm going to silicone A long strip of black filter foam on the back of the tanks (inside obviously) foam will be 4cm thick and 4" wide along the strip I shall put some small slits and inside the slits I am going to put some aquatic plants, the foam will hold a considerable amount of nitrifying bacteria and the plants which will root into the foam will take care of some of
the niitrate, just hope the fish don't eat the plants, is that a good idea? :idea: also hoping that the foam doesn't take too long to arrive I had to order it from China... Well I haven't got anything else to report, I would answer your posts but there aren't any :feedback: feeling like I'm talking to myself here.

If the filter foam is big enough why dont you use it to make an HMF-filter and fill it with biomedia and a powerhead? You can use the foam for plants anyway.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Not a great fan of bare tanks personally, so don't need to worry about clever ideas. I tend to keep more natural tanks, hence the lack of decent photos of my fish! But I like to watch them acting naturally.

Reactions: Matteus

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
One more thing isnt ATM colony made for saltwater systems?

Not a great fan of bare tanks personally, so don't need to worry about clever ideas. I tend to keep more natural tanks, hence the lack of decent photos of my fish! But I like to watch them acting naturally.
I feel exactly the same way. Every tank I have needs to have substrate or decor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store