Irwini update .......maybe worms?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hard to say what it is other than this is not a normal stool.

Is it alive, does it move on its own?

Could simply be stringy kind of colorless poop that is often indicative of intestinal distress, including that from parasites.

I'd give it Epsom salt - magnesium sulfate - with feed. That allegedly cleanses all intestinal parasites. If not eating - administer through baths, albeit it'd be less effective but still a viable medicating approach.

Same with other general antiparasitic treatments - praziquantel, metronoidazole and fenbendazole are the ones I chose. Again, best with feed, can be combined all three. If not - through tank water long term or baths short term.

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
Hard to say what it is other than this is not a normal stool.

Is it alive, does it move on its own?

Could simply be stringy kind of colorless poop that is often indicative of intestinal distress, including that from parasites.

I'd give it Epsom salt - magnesium sulfate - with feed. That allegedly cleanses all intestinal parasites. If not eating - administer through baths, albeit it'd be less effective but still a viable medicating approach.

Same with other general antiparasitic treatments - praziquantel, metronoidazole and fenbendazole are the ones I chose. Again, best with feed, can be combined all three. If not - through tank water long term or baths short term.
Thank you, he is not eating right now. I heard that salt isn't good for catfish so I have stayed away from it. I did dose today with PraziPro. The white strings don't seem to move on their own. Thanks again I will pick up some salt. Epsom salt is different from the aquarium salt correct?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and is different than aquarium salt.

Reactions: Cabinetman 1

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you, he is not eating right now. I heard that salt isn't good for catfish so I have stayed away from it. I did dose today with PraziPro. The white strings don't seem to move on their own. Thanks again I will pick up some salt. Epsom salt is different from the aquarium salt correct?
Table salt can be more irritating to catfish skin versus scaled fish but overall I find this statement a harmful myth. I've not seen any difference in my experience.

Aquarium salt, I am not too sure what that is. It seems that sometimes it is just table salt = sodium chloride, other times it can be the salt one uses to make salt/marine water from fresh water. In the latter case, it contains hundreds more chemicals than just sodium chloride.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, sold a tetrahydrate e.g. in Walmart pharmacy. Less than a dollar for a carton of several pounds. You have to look up the dosages.

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
Table salt can be more irritating to catfish skin versus scaled fish but overall I find this statement a harmful myth. I've not seen any difference in my experience.

Aquarium salt, I am not too sure what that is. It seems that sometimes it is just table salt = sodium chloride, other times it can be the salt one uses to make salt/marine water from fresh water. In the latter case, it contains hundreds more chemicals than just sodium chloride.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, sold a tetrahydrate e.g. in Walmart pharmacy. Less than a dollar for a carton of several pounds. You have to look up the dosages.
Okay thank you!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Epsom salt can dose at a 1 tbsp per 5g.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Epsom salt can dose at a 1 tbsp per 5g.
Thanks Ron.

John, Epsom salt usage and doses are described in the Diseases forum stickies too.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store