Is a 96 x 24 x 24 big enough for an adult Giant Gourami?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I would stick with species that to get no more than 12in in a 240 like that
What about a 96 x 30 x 24? I doubt I'll be able to afford that but as of now my options are 96 x 24 x 24, 72 x 30 x 24 and 96 x 30 x 24. While 96 x 30 x 24 is really pushing space, weight and budget. What species would going with 96 x 30 open up for me? Datnoids? Snakehead? What other large fish? Just trying to get an idea.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
GG appear some of the most intelligent fish we enjoy the privilege to keep. As you say you'd have no problem rehoming any overgrown fish (do I recall correctly?), you could try growing one out with that in mind.

But overall, the GG is unlikely to be happy long term, as Esox eloquently described, not to mention that territorially and hierarchically aggressive fish become a nightmare in smaller tanks.

Dloks Dloks I love yah, bro, you know it, and I don't wanna lose you from MFK so I'll be honest although it hurts me personally to say this: if you don't become more considerate, I am afraid we will lose you and your much needed here fish expertise and your brilliantly-hilarious presence here on MFK. It will suck. Please, consider changing your ways. Live and let others live... especially if they are not breaking ToS. Pretty please?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
GG appear some of the most intelligent fish we enjoy the privilege to keep. As you say you'd have no problem rehoming any overgrown fish (do I recall correctly?), you could try growing one out with that in mind.

But overall, the GG is unlikely to be happy long term, as Esox eloquently described, not to mention that territorially and hierarchically aggressive fish become a nightmare in smaller tanks.

Dloks Dloks I love yah, bro, you know it, and I don't wanna lose you from MFK so I'll be honest although it hurts me personally to say this: if you don't become more considerate, I am afraid we will lose you and your much needed here fish expertise and your brilliantly-hilarious presence here on MFK. It will suck. Please, consider changing your ways. Live and let others live... especially if they are not breaking ToS. Pretty please?
If I went 96 x 30 x 24 would that be enough? Or would that still be too small? If it is that is fine. I will have to treat it like an Arowana and hope that someday I will be able to get a bigger tank. I care a lot about fish and their well being so I don't want to just get something because I want it and house it in too small of conditions. Wouldn't be fair to the fish and would make me a hypocrite. Don't want that now.

If I did go 96 x 30 x 24 what other species would that open me up to vs a 96 x 24 x 24? I assume Datnoids and some species of Snakeheads but what else? I know Wyckii catfish would still be out which is a shame but understandable.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I've got a RTGG. I got it at 3" and I put him in a 6x2x2 . I knew how big he was going to get and as a result I had a plan in place to eventually upgrade. Looking back i didn't really upgrade as soon as I should have though. When he reached about 13-14" he started throwing wobblers, just thrashing at the surface, and it got gradually worse. By the time I eventually upgraded he was 15" and very thick. His thrashing was violent.

Fast forward a few months and he's now in a 72x48" footprint with extra depth as well. And low and behold he hasn't splashed once. He's proper chilled and he even gets on with his tankmates, an added bonus because I heard male RTGG's could be killer bullies.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that even at 13-14" in a 24" wide tank he felt cramped and that's why he thrashed violently.

So, to be honest IMO your 96x24 footprint is not really suitable for a piraya, which may reach 18", or a datnoid, which could get even bigger, and certainly not a GG which, depending on which type you get, could max out at 24".

Try it and you may have a very moody fish on your hands and you'll find yourself mopping the floor a lot!
Would 96 x 30 x 24 be better? Or is that still too small of a width for a GG?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada

Would a Jardini Arowana fit in a 96 x 24 x 24 or 96 x 30 x 24 for life?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
In a way, I think Dloks Dloks had the right idea of how to help you more efficiently, just the wrong (forgive me, bro) way of going about it. He was like a cranky grumpy grandpa, whose dipper wasn't changed in time, which is surprising for a vibrant man of his prime, young age. I don't envy his close ones 30-50 years down the road for they will be splattered in condiments and eaten alive...

Anyhoo, IDK if I see it right either but indeed your questions are many and they are scattered in great many threads and as a result you may not get the answers you'd want from us all as a community because I am not checking all your threads to see that all your questions have been answered, and no one would do it.

I indeed would suggest one thread, in which we could discuss general rules of humane fish housing per your case and then throw in specific fish and their requirements.

But maybe all this has already been addressed. IDK.

THE MEAT:

[1] The rule of thumb is the tank size at a bare minimum should be 4x the length of fish long and 2x the length of fish wide and 1x the length of fish deep.

[2] For sedentary fish, like gobies or jello catfish and other ambush predators, this rule can be relaxed.

[3] For active fish and highly intelligent fish, this rule is tightened to e.g. 6x by 3x length by width.

[4] For flexible fish like arowana or snakehead, eel, some catfish, etc. it is easier to handle too narrow a tank; doesn't mean they will be happy but at least they can turn with ease whereas more rigid fish like gars, some catfish, sturgeon, paddlefish would have significant problems.

[5] All this talk "for life" is senseless to me personally. These fish live for 10-100 years. Do you know what your income and housing conditions will be in 10, 20, 50 years??? Of course, no. But you want to practice your hobby now. You want to live now. All you can do is forecast a few years ahead, unless you already are in a highly stable long term situation - with a secure job, with family, house, etc. Then you might think 5-10 years ahead. If not, there is no point. But even 5-10 years will not cover an expected min of 20 years of life span of an arowana.

[6] Still, one must think longer term too a bit, realizing it is questionable. About your income (being able to get large tanks and pay for their operation) and about your handiness (how much you will be able to DIY and save).

For instance, if in 10-20 years you are unlikely:
-- to make more than $30K a year and
-- to build DIY a 25,000 gal tank / pond for roughly $10K-$20K in material cost
-- to foot a $1K bill a month in electric alone,
-- to own a house and lot that could house a 40'x20' tank / pond... then
getting a fish that could grow to 6 feet or larger would be an irresponsible thing to do right now at this point in your life.

[7] Moreover, if you are a rookie, you will kill lots of fish before you will learn how to keep one long term, unless you prove to be a genius fish keeper, unlike me.

[8] Finally, we can talk until blue in the face but at some point you must start doing it and learning hands-on. You will not learn all you need to practice our hobby on paper, albeit I admire your strive to do the right thing and do your homework right. I am just afraid your brain is already or will be spinning from hearing 20 advices on 20 different fishes on 3 possible tank sizes from different people with differing views.

20x20x3 = 1200 advices. That'd be a lot to rationalize and digest.

If I went 96 x 30 x 24 would that be enough? Or would that still be too small? If it is that is fine. I will have to treat it like an Arowana and hope that someday I will be able to get a bigger tank. I care a lot about fish and their well being so I don't want to just get something because I want it and house it in too small of conditions. Wouldn't be fair to the fish and would make me a hypocrite. Don't want that now.

If I did go 96 x 30 x 24 what other species would that open me up to vs a 96 x 24 x 24? I assume Datnoids and some species of Snakeheads but what else? I know Wyckii catfish would still be out which is a shame but understandable.
Look at my databases in the third link in my signature. I doubt we can tell you what else. The field is too wide. It'd require a full three day tutorial.

Anyhow.. it depends. Arowana grow rather quickly. Dats grow rather slowly. So the same tank size will be adequate for much longer for a dat by which time your life may change, up (hopefully) or down and you will correct your life so your conscience is back to being happy.

Would a Jardini Arowana fit in a 96 x 24 x 24 or 96 x 30 x 24 for life?
See above. It can live 20-30 years. You won't be stuck with your 8x2, 6x3, or 8x2.5 for 20-30 years. I see in you a 10'- arapaima keeper in 10-20 years with a 25,000 gal. So this talk is a bit senseless.

Last edited:

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
In a way, I think Dloks Dloks had the right idea of how to help you more efficiently, just the wrong (forgive me, bro) way of going about it. He was like a cranky grumpy grandpa, whose dipper wasn't changed in time, which is surprising for a vibrant man of his prime, young age. I don't envy his close ones 30-50 years down the road for they will be splattered in condiments and eaten alive...
I’m a very cranky grumpy grandpa with very dirty diapers! Although I am genetically gifted and blessed with great looks, I was not blessed with patience(s). I can answer whatever I can to help, but sometimes it gets a little redundant. Viktor my close ones live a great and happy life before they are dunked in honey mustard and devoured like chicken fingers. I hope to add you to my list of “close ones”, for you have my angry grandpa respect.

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
Lady's and gentlemen, our designated grumpy grandpa, Dloks Dloks . Papaw Dloks Dloks

• Wow
Reactions: FishBeast and Dloks

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Lady's and gentlemen, our designated grumpy grandpa, Dloks Dloks . Papaw Dloks Dloks
Son I tell you what! Back in my days........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store