is a CF 65W enough for a 37 high?

boofish2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2006
NYC
That's my question. I have only amazon sword and java lacy fern, both considered low light. I can't afford a twin 65W so is one bulb enough? Remember, it's a high. (FYI I also bought some ferts as an addition to the light.)
Thanks!

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy boofish,

That sounds like you have plenty of light for the plants you keep. You could also add some Cryptocoryne - my all-time favorites! How about some floating plants, e.g. Hydrocotyle leucocephala? They're all easy to take care of. Compact fluorescent is certainly great with your tall tank, and you are not limited to low-light plants :thumbsup:

Make sure to post some pics ...

... of yourself in front of your tank ;)

Take care,
HarleyK

boofish2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2006
NYC
Thanks for your guys' responses!! Guess what though, I ended up finding on-line a TWIN 65W CF for the same price as the single one I bought, so I'm gonna get that one and return the other. Now, I've added some ferts but do you think I'll need some kind of co2 action now? Any other plant recommendations? Harley, as soon as I have some nice lookin' plants I'll snap a pic ;)

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I personally would do CO2, just a diy unit, as you will have some algae growth, unless you have some good growth plants. If you have a good substrate, that much light, co2 and canister filter and good quality ferts, the only thing I can recommend for a plant is that you get a book and look through it. What some people like others don't, and it is difficult to tell ya what you like. If you give some guidelines such as height, color, leaf type, growth rates, then we can point you in the right direction.

boofish2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2006
NYC
WyldFya;614281; said:
I personally would do CO2, just a diy unit, as you will have some algae growth, unless you have some good growth plants. If you have a good substrate, that much light, co2 and canister filter and good quality ferts, the only thing I can recommend for a plant is that you get a book and look through it. What some people like others don't, and it is difficult to tell ya what you like. If you give some guidelines such as height, color, leaf type, growth rates, then we can point you in the right direction.
yup, gotcha, you're right.... back to the 'ol drawin' board haha :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store