Is CO2 required 4 a sucessful planted tank?

LA213

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2006
Los Angeles
is it possible to use the CO2 tank with pool filter sand as substrate?

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
my annibius is getn a brown fur/algae on the leaves...any ideas whats causing it?

What are the specs to your individual tank???

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
Brown "algae", (diatoms) you should increase the light slightly. If you are using CO2, you can (and should)use lots more light. :thumbsup:

Sorry fairly new to doing the quotes, trying to answer someone elses ? Can also be from Lighting, tap water, lack of nutrients, and tank being fairly new nad plants have not out competed the diatoms.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I also don't use CO2, but I only keep Swords, Java, Ludwigia, wisteria, etc.

lemcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
with C02 tanks grow 5-7x faster than non-C02 both with proper lights and needed ferts

C02 has a downside too non-C02 tanks are slower and much more forgiving
i have also killed many fish in the learning process with C02
best to start with non-C02 and shop around for good deals on your C02 setup

one other thing some people may not be comfortable with a 10lb missile under thier tank:WHOA:

seighten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
michigan
if you are the type of aquarist that has to have every gadget and fusses over their tank every minute then go ahead with the co2..... yes, it does have its uses... but, from what i have experienced, it is not an absolute neccessity to having success with planted tanks..... i myself do not want the additional "complications", i prefer a "simple" approach.....

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Recent article in TFH compared the contrasts of low Co2 tanks vs. High Co2 tanks. Had some great pictures!

I recently finished setting up my low Co2 tank, which will take a while to reach it's potential.. You just have to pick your plants wisely. I plan on having a heavier than normal stocking level, but alternate the 'shadow' lighting(2w/gl.) method with an airstone on timers.

Do your research, and you can do some pretty awesome things with low-light plants!

Mr.Geoff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2004
St.Louis
Anubias grows brown algae on it because it doesnt grow fast enough tofend it off. just a fact of the matter

im not running co2 in any of my tanks. i think they have turned out fairly well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store