is cocktail shrimp an acceptable staple?

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
as in like the main part of a fish's diet?

when I got my Lei from Kory it was eating pellets and krill,yet somehow I actually weened it off of the pellets and krill accidentally by feeding him crickets and market shrimp...I have been feeding krill and a mixture of hikari gold and NLS jumbo pellets, but he eventualy stopped taking the pellets and not long after stopped grabbing the krill as well.

I had no choice because at the time I also had a silver in there that I never could get to accept pellets and only the occasional piece of krill.After losing that silver I stopped feeding crickets.Also I have other fish that won't eat anything else but market shrimp either...thats why I put this here and not the aro forum.

My TT eel,my catfish,and my BGK all will not eat anything accept cocktail shrimps or chopped up earth worms (which I hardly ever have unless I just went to wal-mart for something)

actually the least picky fish I have is a needle fish that eats both the NLS and Hikari pellets as well as krill.:screwy:

so basically about half the fish in my tank only eat cocktail shrimp day in and day out......is that healthy?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado

tyl089

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
San Jose,
I try not to handle shrimp since i'm allergic.

My choice has always been earth worms. Drop one in, they wriggle around, fish sees, earthworm gone, happy fish.

Besides, i'm sure earthworms are alot cheaper than shrimp.

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
I keep trying to get them onto raw shrimp,that same brand even,but they don't dig it,it winds up sitting in the sand.Don't know exactly how long its safe to leave there but I don't leave it there very long it makes me nervous (about the water).

They just eat cocktail shrimp cooked and peeled,and then frozen...and, errr, I suppose I could stop defrosting it with hot water, never thought it mattered....

tyl089;926504; said:
Besides, i'm sure earthworms are alot cheaper than shrimp.
no shrimps free my girlfreinds a cook at the Hilton.Scallops too but they don't like em.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
señor_pescados_felices;926518; said:
I keep trying to get them onto raw shrimp,that same brand even,but they don't dig it,it winds up sitting in the sand.Don't know exactly how long its safe to leave there but I don't leave it there very long it makes me nervous (about the water).

They just eat cocktail shrimp cooked and peeled,and then frozen...and, errr, I suppose I could stop defrosting it with hot water, never thought it mattered....

no shrimps free my girlfreinds a cook at the Hilton.Scallops too but they don't like em.

defrost in cold or luke warm, not hot.

Greenaveli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2006
Ny to Fl and Back Again
between Senor... and Asianguy with these avatars im gonna go:nilly: :drool:

QueenslandeR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Queensland ~ Australia
how about starving your fish a little and then try to feed them something else, i guess if they were hungry enough they would eat the other stuff right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store