Is Hemichromis Fasciatus the most aggressive cichlid?

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Frempongi are also unfortunately nearly impossible to get here in Finland, and if I one day find these cichlids, I think I'll go with the real deal (fasciatus) :). My dream is to have a huge tank (around 8 feet long) with pairs of fasciatus and grammodes, and convicts and jewels as dithers. According to everyone's experience, that setup wouldn't probably work, but it would also be quite cool to have the African and Central American cichlids on their own sides separated by a divider.

Hemichromis elongatus, tough, might be available occasionally here. My next aquarium is most likely going to be a community tank of medium sized cichlids, so do you think that elongatus could be mixed with cichlids like salvini, texas and jack dempsey in a 190 gallon tank?
Yes. Elongatus are more easy going and much more manageable in size. Elongatus are probably in the same ball park as salvini as far as aggression goes.

Reactions: Cichlid_Guy

Ilovecichlids28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2022
Parachromis and Amphilophus are the most aggressive in my opinion I’ve ever kept when I first got into the hobby and didn’t know much I threw a bunch in my 75 gallon along with Dovii and my Red Devil who was probably an inch smaller ruled the tank that’s just my experience though there are millions of different experiences how ever but amphilophus Chancho and Sagittae are the most aggressive with almost any parachromis as well !

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
As far as the video goes, the owner of that fish often kept all those rowdy fish together in order to pair his 5 spots. The fish were not kept together long term. As soon as a pair formed they would be placed in a seperate aquarium for spawning.
Oh, that makes sense. So the owner of that tank felt that pairing up his fasciatus by the constant addition of oscars, flowerhorns, buttikoferi, etc. was the best course of action. Gotcha.

Would someone please explain to me the difference between "psychopath" and "sociopath" again? I always get those two mixed up...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store